• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Trollies/barrows

John Care

Chaps, after suffering a recurrence of my heart problem whilst weighed down with gear on Tuesday, I was wondering what people use in the line of trolleys or barrows for getting gear to swims. I'm mostly lower Severn so it would be a flat walk, nothing heavy duty really, it would just be my korum ruckbag, brolly, rod holdall, chair, and a bucket for bait etc. I've got a four wheel preston shuttle that I use for match fishing, but don't think that will be suitable to be honest. Either way, I'd like to avoid carrying it in the short term.

Ive got one of these it effortless

John,

I have a two wheel trolley with pneumatic tyres. The handle can be dismantled and the wheels can be taken off easily. It fits easily into my car ( dismantled) and is light in weight. I get everything I need on it and secure all with those ' elastic thingys'😂. I carry my rods and rests in a sling but they weigh next to nothing. This has survived for over 20 years and looks like it will manage another 20 ( longer than me I reckon ). I turned to this when my back ' gave up the ghost'. I fish the same areas as you I reckon so don't see why this would not do you. Don't see how you would manipulate a barrow along the banks myself...
Keep smiling,
G.T.

John,

I have a two wheel trolley with pneumatic tyres. The handle can be dismantled and the wheels can be taken off easily. It fits easily into my car ( dismantled) and is light in weight. I get everything I need on it and secure all with those ' elastic thingys'😂. I carry my rods and rests in a sling but they weigh next to nothing. This has survived for over 20 years and looks like it will manage another 20 ( longer than me I reckon ). I turned to this when my back ' gave up the ghost'. I fish the same areas as you I reckon so don't see why this would not do you. Don't see how you would manipulate a barrow along the banks myself...
Keep smiling,
G.T.
I did wonder about that Graham, not sure if it's best to pull, or push your gear really.

Bought a second hand single wheel daiwa carp barrow earlier in the year which would be fine for what you are looking at. It's not that light but it's easy to push and does fold flat. Got it for carp overnighters and trips with my other half when we take too much stuff. Should find a few locally on Facebook marketplace or gumtree. Better option than new as most are quite robust and seem to last well.

easier to push a barrow than drag a trolley ive tried both and barrow every time

I would say this would tick all your boxes

Trouble is everything involves weight either pulling or pushing. I met a guy years ago on the Kennet who had a triple heart by-pass and used a small electric powered fishing trolley. Although expensive this might be an option to be considered. You might be able to pick one up second hand or adapt an electric golf cart.

I use a rigger Barrow I got cheap off ebay. With the legs down it's an easy walk, and a good platform for your gear.

I did wonder about that Graham, not sure if it's best to pull, or push your gear really.

I’ve been asking myself the same question recently when moving a load of gear and lots of groundbait long distances for big bream. I have two different conditions which can be made worse after a lot of heavy lifting. I have a nash peg one chair with wheels attached to it which is heavy itself but sturdy and was what I used as a trolley until one day recently I nearly did myself in. I did have about 10kg of bait with me that day and a brolly system so I decided to make everything as lightweight as possible. I traded my brolly system for a Korum shelter, took all the weight I would need out of my bag and got a lightweight chair and dug the carp barrow out the attic.

The barrow isn’t the lightest but all the gear must have weighed a lot less than before, but I found pushing the lighter weight more tiring than pulling the heavier. The path to the swims I fish isn’t hilly or difficult. I saw a lightweight trolley in the shop the other day that looked pretty robust so I might sell the barrow and go back to pulling, because I’m not sure I can do the long walks with all that gear any more.

The irony is that I’m a bit under the weather with a cold at the moment and couldn’t face a long exhausting walk yesterday so I thought I’d go light and fish a short session for roach on the tip with a small bag and chair, one rod a small bag of ground bait and a pint of casters and ended up catching a 14lb 8oz bream. It made me wonder about the need for all that bait and extra gear

The portalite 2 is exactly that !! ............ its as easy to push as a wheel barrow folds down really small and fast to assemble its just perfect for your needs before you part with your hard earned I would urge you to take a serious look at one

I most certainly would avoid any 2 wheeled barrows as these are useless on anything other than a nice flat surface
portalite 2.jpg
porterlite2fold.jpg

Last edited:
Hi ,
As I have indicated, I manage okay with my trolley, which I pull. The only issue I have is when I try to reach a peg that has no discernible path and features long grass, then it is a pain! Also I find that I can normally manoeuvre it through the aluminium gates so prevalent on the lower Severn. I haven't tried a barrow so I can't compare I'm afraid.
Regards,
G.T.

Hi ,
As I have indicated, I manage okay with my trolley, which I pull. The only issue I have is when I try to reach a peg that has no discernible path and features long grass, then it is a pain! Also I find that I can normally manoeuvre it through the aluminium gates so prevalent on the lower Severn. I haven't tried a barrow so I can't compare I'm afraid.
Regards,
G.T.
Surely ? thats the whole point ...>The only issue I have is when I try to reach a peg that has no discernible path< so straight away he could be under massive strain trying to pull a 2 wheeled barrow ? where as a single wheeled barrow will be far less strain builders barrows are designed this way for a reason !! trust me I have owned and used 2 wheeled and 3 wheeled barrows they are great on smooth flat ground but a heart attack trying to navigate normal river banks that are not manicured

I never use a trolley or barrow for barbel fishing, but for some other fishing situations (e.g. a match on Clatterclote Reservoir) that involve a long walk and are flat I use an Aldi 4 wheel trolley! I found single wheeled barrows unstable and just could not get on with them as you have to lift as well as push and I have back problems... A four wheel trolley can just be pulled along behind you with minimal effort. If you take just two or three rods along, the rod holdall can be placed in the trolley once you reach level ground. The Aldi trolley folds away really easily and takes up little room.

Back