• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Trent MASSIVE bream

Graham Hunt

A bloke on another forum is claiming that double figure Trent bream are common place. Being a naturally cynical type, and having caught literally hundreds recently to a maximum of 8lbs, i was wondering if anyone actually had evidence of doubles from Her Majesty??

Trent doubles are very few on the ground, it would be a carper making the claim. They catch double figure Bream all the time .....and double figure Tench come to think of it......yawn

I know one such area that they are quite common on the middle Trent not saying pegs but upstream from Gunthorpe weir should tweak a few brain cells for those in the know.

Trent doubles are very few on the ground, it would be a carper making the claim. They catch double figure Bream all the time .....and double figure Tench come to think of it......yawn

Being a one time carper I have caught more than one double figure bream and tench accidentally in the past, as have a number of my friends (not too many from rivers I must admit, because we didn't carp fish on rivers that often). We did weigh them now and then when they looked particularly big....not to claim any credit, as we didn't feel any was due where accidental captures were concerned....but rather to amuse ourselves whenever the boring doubting Thomas's started spouting their usual ill informed nonsense......yawn.

Cheers, Dave.

He was claiming a Trent Pb of 13lb 4oz and that he knew of one of 16 plus.

I can't remember seeing a bream in the press from any river over 11.

My biggest river bream came off the tidal last september 9lb 2oz , heard of doubles but not seen one

I had a 13lb bream off the Lea 9 years ago and we catch a reasonable number of 9/10lbers each season while carp/chubbing.

No, I didn't put it in the press.

I've heard of a couple of other 13's over the years from different rivers that appear to be genuine.

Just as many big fish are kept away from the press as are put in it. ;)

Graham. We had quite a number of d/fig bream from the Thames a few years ago.

The average size would be 5 -7lb in many of the very large shoals.

Biggest over 12lb. They seem pretty well down on numbers now though.

Graham

David. They use to be a real nuisance. Sometimes, despite fishing 100 yards apart we would start getting bites at the same time from massive shoals of fish.

The rod tip would continue to sway even with large baits until one had hooked itself.
Some evenings it was like that as soon as you cast in for 4 hours or more, we just waited for a proper wack hoping it was a barbel.

Even the EE's could not have eaten that many.

Graham

There was a 13lb 4oz bream from the Royalty that was featured in the angling press a couple of years ago. I've got the photo of it still somewhere.

It's been a few years since i've fished the Trent regularly but during my 7 years in Nottingham i must have caught hundreds of Bream. Average size was around the 6-7lb mark with the best i managed going 8lb 12oz which was a PB at the time. The missus, as usual, went one better with a best of 9lb 8oz. I've no doubt doubles were present but not common in the areas i fished at the time. I can think of at least 2 northwest rivers, the Lune and the Ribble, which have a bit of a rep for producing big river Bream, i've had 3 fish of 9lb 15oz from the latter in recent seasons. ( how annoying is that! )
On the subject of carp anglers - in my quest for a double i took the advice from some carp fishers on what is considered to be a rock hard northwest pit during one close season where they "catch doubles all the time" - the result was several doubles to over 11lb! They are a great source of info regarding any species other than Carp! ;)

I managed one on the middle trent in 2004 being 12lb 1oz. One of those captures not intended & nothing near that since.

Cheers, Jon

Last edited:
Very true about massive Thames shoals as Graham says..
Ive had them to 11+ myself when after Thames boris..but also as Graham says,they seem very thin on the ground now

Luke

Very true about massive Thames shoals as Graham says..
Ive had them to 11+ myself when after Thames boris..but also as Graham says,they seem very thin on the ground now

Luke

Is there anything that ISN'T thin on the ground in the Thames at the moment...including water :(

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
I had a big one in 2017 this just touched 10lb.

I had one out the nene very recently this year on my home made boilies that would of gone over 11 easy if I’d of bothered to weigh it. Certainly the biggest bream I’ve ever caught. Bleeding thing just covered everything in nasty balls of slime. By far the least enjoyable species for me to catch. At least eels put up a scrap.

9 1/2 lb for me , not many at all this year biggest about 4lb , used to be huggings of them before the barbel barged in , all species have their own merits , although do sometimes get a bit miffed when catching dabs instead of cod in winter.

Back