• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Travel rod

Cliff Turner

Senior Member & Supporter
I’m thinking of getting a travel rod mainly for my annual holidays by car to France. Other than Peregrine and the Harrison 4 piece Avon are there any others still being made ? I know there are JW ones out in the used market ? Any recommendations ? Thanks

The attached photo shows a Tiger Fish caught in Zimbabwe by one of our fishing club members. He used a travel rod bought from Rigged & Ready. I bet their rods could handle a barbel?!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230209-161325_Outlook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230209-161325_Outlook.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 99
Depends on what you want to spend for me it’s all in trust when away from home.. I want something that if I see an opportunity I know it got something reliable and will travel well. Ild be inclined to go anything Harrison blank made in small pack Down. The 4 piece Avon would prob be my choice, if you don’t have a builder I can put you in touch with one (Nick Buss) he’s semi retired has links to Harrison and century but will still build for friends family and those recommended by the above.

I would also go 1.5lb to be a little more gunned for what you might come across out there 😊

I’m thinking of getting a travel rod mainly for my annual holidays by car to France. Other than Peregrine and the Harrison 4 piece Avon are there any others still being made ? I know there are JW ones out in the used market ? Any recommendations ? Thanks
angling direct does a new JW travel Avon/barbel rods. The rigged & ready makes nice travel rods in reasonable price as well.

I think i'd go down the 4 piece Avon route too.
Greys do a few cheaper options too - though I broke the one i had - shock.

If it’s only being used once a year, I’d go for the new JW Travel either Avon or Barbel depending on your style of fishing. I’ve got the Avon (1.25lb test) and it’s handled barbel to 8lb easily. For 60 notes you can’t go wrong.

I think their float rod is about £130 but not sure of TC rating. There are cheaper on the market for sure, my post was purely to show how travel rods are far from "gimmicky" and can handle seriously strong fish.
Not sure what happened when I looked the first time but I saw prices in USD in thousands !! Just looked again and prices in GBP very reasonable although I can't see an Avon style rod, just the float rod you mentioned.

Not sure what happened when I looked the first time but I saw prices in USD in thousands !! Just looked again and prices in GBP very reasonable although I can't see an Avon style rod, just the float rod you mentioned.
They don’t do Avon rod, mainly spinning rod, but should be able to use an Avon rod I think.

Back