• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Top tips

Haydn Clarke

Senior Member & Supporter
Gentlemen, I have been using these things for a few seasons and have found them to be indispensible. They are the most useful non-fishing fishing item I have and can be used for a number of purposes. They weigh nothing and cost pennies.

They are called twisty ties. They are flexible wire inside a soft foam. If you get the right ones thay are reasonably rigid and the foam obviously protects rods from getting scratched. I got mine from a garden centre but I think they are available on ebay. I use them mostly for tying my rods, landing net and bank stick together when moving swims etc. They can also be used to form a butt rest when tied to your chair, or as I was using them today as a holder for watching the football on my iphone. They are as limited as your imagination.

Haydn

Last edited:
And here is my Heath Robinson version of Jimmy Savill's chair. Complete with cup holder and radio stand.

Haydn

Last edited:
:eek: !!!!!!! Brilliant Hayden, i'll be on the look out for some, i'll check ebay out first. Thanks for the tip.

Ian.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Twisty-Grips-...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cadda0914

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Storage-Super...md=ViewItem&pt=UK_Storage&hash=item20b174b36c

These are like the ones I have. you can buy the stuff on a roll and cut it to length but I'd suggest getting the pre-made lengths as they have a plastic end cap that stops the metal wire protruding.

Haydn

Haydn, are you sure these are the same as the ones you have? The items in both those adds are thirty one and a half inches long, by three quarters of an inch wide...that is like nearly three feet of a hosepipe in size :eek:

It certainly won't look anything like the one holding your rod, or chair mods in your picture :confused:

Cheers, Dave.

Surely thats even better , you can cut them into various sizes , not to sure if the metal would stick out to much after cutting them but a bit of gaffer tape or even melting the ends may solve the problem . Ps cracking idea thanks for the tip Haydn .

Haydn, are you sure these are the same as the ones you have? The items in both those adds are thirty one and a half inches long, by three quarters of an inch wide...that is like nearly three feet of a hosepipe in size :eek:

It certainly won't look anything like the one holding your rod, or chair mods in your picture :confused:

Cheers, Dave.

I think there is a misprint on the sizeing of the second of those two as it lists it's thickness as being 3/4" / 1cm. which are clearly not the same. I shouldn't worry, they will be fine and like Graham says, cut them down. If you pull back the foam a little then you can cut the wire so it is shorter in length then just singe the end.

Haydn

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Crook
Are you looking to replace your 5 year old bin bag ties already Mr Steptoe??

........ Do you see what i have to put up with people ?
I don' know :rolleyes:....the season hasn't even started yet and you two are at it already!

Mind you Mr Grant I do tend to agree with Crooky that these look a bit up market from the usual bits of old string that hold your gear together.:p

Gavin

need cheap rod bands / spool bands then lidl's has the answer

velcro straps 10" X 5/8" in packs of 6 for only £1.29p (click picture for details) in today.

Back