• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Too tight to use Felindre....

Mike Daniel

Senior Member & Supporter
...and I want to service my baitrunners myself.

Any tips / advice appreciated, especially on the drag / baitrunner drag. Any ideas how to overcome the dreaded Shimano sticky clutch which has started to appear on my older reels?

Thanks
Mike :)

what i did when the back wind button stopped working on a old shimano reel is open it up and have a play around, manage to sort it.

What you need are some exploded diagrams. Every time I open a reel up I end up with an exploded reel!

Mike, what ever you do mate, you will need some of the dry clutch washers, these are the life and soul of the runner part of the real, and dont do what i did many years ago, and i know some still do, thinking i was doing the right thing i gave the back of the clutch knob and handles etc a spray with wd40, handles yes, spindle yes, CLUTCH KNOB AND AREA NO, they work on a dry clutch and spraying or oiling this area is what causes the sticky clutch.
Also the biggest tip i could give anybody is between fishing store your runners with both clutch and runners backed(loosend right off), stops the dry washer getting a permanent groove in them and sticking.

Mike, what ever you do mate, you will need some of the dry clutch washers, these are the life and soul of the runner part of the real, and dont do what i did many years ago, and i know some still do, thinking i was doing the right thing i gave the back of the clutch knob and handles etc a spray with wd40, handles yes, spindle yes, CLUTCH KNOB AND AREA NO, they work on a dry clutch and spraying or oiling this area is what causes the sticky clutch.
Also the biggest tip i could give anybody is between fishing store your runners with both clutch and runners backed(loosend right off), stops the dry washer getting a permanent groove in them and sticking.

Cheers - I'll see if I can find some new washers, or strip and dry the old ones (can't get any stickier than they are on my oldest reels.)

get a schematic of your reel if you don't have the one that came with it, a quick google search finds most reels, strip out the drag and keep the washers in the right order. clean all the drag washers with surgical spirit and refit with a smear of '3 in 1 white lithium grease' (available at halfords) on each side. use wd40 to soften and wash out all the old grease in the gears and spray white lithium grease on all mating gear surfaces and bearings. same for the bail arm mechanism. don't just use wd40 as it dries out. takes about an hour tops and should do the trick. some of the more intricate reels can be fiddly, Abu Suveran S4000M springs to mind, you just need to be methodical with the dismantlement and reassembly and beware of small springs that can pop out;) especially with Suveran's as spares are near impossible to source :( i had to resort to buying a tatty one to provide spares for my two :eek:

Andy good advice, but i would prefere to clean any old grease out of gears with parrafin, much kinder and leaves a protective layer of oil on the gears, then add the new grease.

i won't use paraffin as some of the reels i service have plastic or rubber parts and it can make them swell or deform. i never fully de-grease any reel now (with the exception of a few i have had ultrasonically cleaned to have plated or anodised), just use the wd40 to act as a freeing agent to soften the old grease so i can use a small brush to mix the grease and wd40 to a state where it can be tipped out of the reel body then a blast of wd40 to wash out any muck, then everything gets a spray of lithium grease and a spin up with a drill to make sure it's well in to the bearings. all outer parts get a drop of normal 3 in 1 mineral oil. far too much faith is put in wd40 as an oil but at best its a freeing agent and cleaner at worst it can dry out gears and bearings and allow them to wear even quicker. one tip with the white lithium spray grease is that it has to have the thinning agent evaporate for the grease to be less runny so i usually give them a night on a radiator before the final assembly, it does mean that it gets into all the nooks and crannies though

Wouldn't service a reel myself ! Could end up costing you more in the long run..............Apart from a grease up etc, wouldn't touch them !
Oh and I'm a maintenance engineer...........

Unless you know what you are doing . Leave it to the experts you might end up will a pile of parts that you cant put back together and it will cost you more in the long run

Back