• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

to glug or not to glug

Colin Dapp

Senior Member & Supporter
I have tried boilies and pellets both with and without glug. Do you think it makes any differnece or is it just a confidence thing. I just think that glugs usually make your hands smell, not good with her indoors.:)

I sometimes do in floodwater to produce an extra scent trail but suspect that it is all washed off within a couple of minutes. Can't do any harm I suppose but I don't think it makes a great deal of difference.

I always glugg my baits but NOT my freebies. As I want my baited hook bait to have bit extra.

I glug mine for weeks before adding a couple of drops every few days so it soaks in and doesn't lose its scent straight away.try techno baits on eBay for a cheaper version of the Korda goo's.

I ask because I am now. since glugging baits, catching big chub rather than barbel on my home water

If I glug my catch rate falls. So stopped plugging altogether.

I am sure the scent trail will carry on further downstream with a glugged hookbait and possibly draw fish to the hookbait sooner? But if the fish are already there and feeding i can't see it making any difference.

I played around with glugs for years before they were a "thing". I haven't actually fishing for barbel in a decade so hey ho take it as you find it.

I landed on using glugs in pressured areas with high water with no to tiny amount of feed. Stringer or small mesh bag at most. This would inevitably mean me catching chub and bream but in amongst them there could be a monster. The other scenario that could see me reaching for a glug would be as a single hookbait in an area that I felt should hold fish but didn't have the inclination to start a baiting campaign as exploring.

Back