• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tip Lights

Iain Tutt

At the moment am using an Enterprize nightlinte adaptor. The only problem i find is sometimes the line gets tangled on it when casting.
Is there anything better i could use.

Looked at a few things but for me nothing works as well,even had Bobs Isoblobs fitted but not bright enough so later got them removed.

Braid doesn't have the springiness so doesn't tangle like mono,I find that a longer underarm cast causes the problem most of my fishing nearside flick so not really an issue

A quick and easy solution is to put a 3x15mm isotope in shrink tube,shrink the tube leaving a tag at each end and then whip it on top of the rod just below the tip ring.Did my rods a few years ago,no problems with wrap arounds since :)
Should have said to whip both ends so that it lies flat on top of the rod

Last edited:
I've got Dave Lumb fitted Isotubes, which are completely tangle free. He fits 22m solar green isotopes which are plenty bright enough for me. I got sick of losing isotopes - which takes some doing in the dark...

Bobs Isoblobs work for me, permanently there too so very convenient. Whilst they are not very bright they are plenty bright enough to spot a 3' twitch !!

I use the Drennan Isotopes with the green clip slid right up onto the metal part of the tip ring, seldom get tangles. Always, as in Carp fishing, just give the line a pull before casting just to make sure it's not tangled. They do fade eventually, so I'm told, but I've usually lost mine before they get to that stage!

Cheers chaps. You've all given me some food for thoughts.
Paul. The Drennan Isotopes with the green clip are very similar to what am using at the moment.
Trevor. I like your idea. May try that one. I already have some clear shrink tube that will fit over the tip ring. The one i have shrinks small enough for this to work.
Cliff. Bobs look very neat.

Shrink tube sounds a brilliant idea but you need to remove the top eye I believe which in my case is sadly beyond me :confused:

Still trying to find the shrink tube in my man cave. I can see it in my head but not in the boxes. It's roughly 9mm so with a gentle slide and spit it should go over the tip ring. The tube i have when i can find it shrink to about 1mm.

Don't forget...shrink tube may look clear, but it isn't perfect, and it will make the isotope noticeably dimmer. If it's still good enough for you, fine...but I would shrink some tube onto an isotope, leaving long tails of the tube, then whip it on with sellotape and try it, before doing a more permanent job.

Cheers, Dave.

Dave G makes a good point re the clarity of the shrink tube - I know some types of 'clear' shrink tube appear to take on a cloudy appearance after having been shrunk - not that matters much when sat in 10ft of water. I can say with that shrink tube Dave Lumb uses stay very clear and doesn't seem to discernably dim the glow of a 22m green Solar isotope. He sells the shrink tube through his online shop at £1.70 packet - drop him a line and he'll sort tell you which diameter you need.

Currently using the 2 drennan isotopes and don't really have a problem occasionally they will get tangled after landing/netting a fish but never on the cast. Top one is about 3 inch from thetip ring and the other about 12 inch down from that. The only thing I will say is that after casting the line kinda catches on the rubber and looks like it's caught but it never is. Does bug me a little but not a problem once you get a bite or reel in just annoying to look at.

Anyone considered glow in the dark paint? The stuff they put it kids rooms. Charge it up in day light and get hours of dim glow, no batteries etc just charges away naturally. May not be the brightest but how bright do you really need or indeed want.

When using cane rods whose tip diameter is too wide for conventional isotope holders , I just fasten on one of the cheapo disposable night lights with a couple of very fine cable ties , works ok for me :D

Last night was the first time i'd ever fished opposite a bunch of people using isotopes. i'm a bit thick and for about an hour I was thinking "all these people have got green or red head torches...must be something to do with fish being put off by normal torches...". The penny finally dropped after a while. I do fish into dark quite a lot but I just listen for the baitrunner.

Last night was the first time i'd ever fished opposite a bunch of people who were using isotopes, well basically the first time I've fished in darkness near anyone else. I'm a bit thick and for about an hour I was thinking "all these people have got green or red head torches...must be something to do with fish being put off by normal torches...".

The penny finally dropped after a while. I do fish into dark quite a lot, but till now I've just listened for the baitrunner and/or had the rod against a light patch of sky. Might give it a go though, would like to see a light show from fluourescent chub plucks.

Back