• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tincture

Brian Timson

Just wondering what everyone else uses as an application for sores lesions and and general treatment of fish. I use Friars Balsam atm but its deadly if you spill any on your hands etc as it stinks to high heaven and it stains.

Any ideas?

Brian

A bottle of Klinik is always in my pocket when fishing.

Dab it on with a cotton bud. Lasts for ages.

Can't think of the actual name but the Nash blue antiseptic sticks like s### to a blanket

Mark

Teething gel is supposed to be good, but it doesn't stick to the wounds that well, hence the Nash stuff sounds a better bet. These antiseptic treatments are just too expensive and if the tackle companies showed some responsibility, they would provide these treatments at cost + a small mark-up, not a great fat profit, relying on the sentimentality of anglers to fork out. The tackle firms should be doing their bit if they care about the fish that their products are aimed at.

Last edited:
bonjela:)

Elastoplast..:eek:The waterproof ones.

I use good old Friars Balsam & keep a few cotton buds in the box with it, applied with one of these you should remain stain free!

What's wrong with methylene blue? Generations of fishkeepers have used it.

cheers

Methylene blue is useful for the treatment of secondary fungal infection of injury or other trauma sites, so can be beneficial in that sense. However, it has no effect on bacterial, viral or parasitic infections, which are probably the primary cause of most visible fishy problems.

Cheers, Dave.

Methylene blue is useful for the treatment of secondary fungal infection of injury or other trauma sites, so can be beneficial in that sense. However, it has no effect on bacterial, viral or parasitic infections, which are probably the primary cause of most visible fishy problems.

Cheers, Dave.

Hi Dave. It is most effective for fungal infections, but can also be used for bacterial and some parasitic infections. It isn't correct to say that it has no effect on bacterial infections because I've had many bacterial cultures killed by methylene blue. It can kill biologicsl filters in fish tanks.

cheers

Hi Dave. It is most effective for fungal infections, but can also be used for bacterial and some parasitic infections. It isn't correct to say that it has no effect on bacterial infections because I've had many bacterial cultures killed by methylene blue. It can kill biologicsl filters in fish tanks.

cheers

You are right of course Mike. I wouldn't use it as my medication of choice for anything other than fungal problems, but it is an exaggeration to say it has no effect on other pathogens. My intention was to point out that painting M.B onto the skin to treat ulceration etc. will not affect the primary cause of the problem. For instance, I would have used Metronidazole for the treatment of Hexamita, but M.B may also be used to treat the secondary fungal infections that may take hold on the external lesions caused by the primary pathogens (flagellates).

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
I suspect that the effectiveness of methylene blue on an infection will be related to the concentration level being used. I watch Casualty a lot and I can't recall methylene blue ever being used to treat patients.

Fungal infections are fairly easy to treat with a suitable pH change, using an ointment. But this need to be applied more than once and not immediately washed off. Viruses pretty well nigh impossible to treat and has to be combatted by the fish's natural immune system. Bacteria can be treated with antibiotics or possibly disinfectant for a fresh wound.

In reality, most of the above are non starters for bankside treatment. Fish cannot be relied upon to take their anti-biotics and are unreliable in finishing the course of tablets. A course of injections to combat viral infections is only viable if the fish will show up at their agreed appointment time and in my past experience, fish have not proved to be reliable time keepers.

So, in my opinion, although we like to do the right thing, these bankside treatments are of dubious value. It doesn't stop the tackle companies from milking us for the "fish care kits" which goes some way to salving our conscience with respect to miss-treating the fish that we love. The teething gels, antiseptics probably adhere to the fish for five minutes before being washed off. Don't forget that pike quite often have wounds as a result of their cavorting activities and these generally heal well. Fish with festering sores probably have a poor immune system or are a bit long in the tooth.

Nice post Jim, I am deeply amused :p:D My post (as you are no doubt aware) was relating to the treatment of aquarium fish, as that was the subject of the post I was replying to.

Might I add that in my opinion, the main thrust of your post was pretty well spot on :D

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
Nice post Jim, I am deeply amused :p:D My post (as you are no doubt aware) was relating to the treatment of aquarium fish, as that was the subject of the post I was replying to.

Might I add that in my opinion, the main thrust of your post was pretty well spot on :D

Cheers, Dave.

Thanks, Dave.

Back