• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

tiger nuts

Chris,
Johns reference is about the tiger nuts themselves it was believed ill prepared Tigers swell and kill fish if not cooked properly. I am sure there was another reason touted for this as well something to do with bacteria but I wait to be enlightened.

Brian

As long as they are prepared and used as hookbait only, not a problem, go for it, it's not a good thing to feed em, others might differ.

in answer to my post yes Brian got it in one, theres far superior baits for barbel than tigers as i said at 1st.
there was nothing contraversial in my 1st post:)

Eargerly waiting for the response from john as to why he thinks a) tigers kill barbel and b) why he thinks i'd be stupid enough to use something that could kill fish, i didnt ask if their safe cos if used and prepared correctly they are safe, i didnt ask how to prepare them as ive used tigers for twenty years for carp, i asked if anyone had used them sucessfully for barbel! Jeezus

Never heard of anyone having success on tigers Chris although I seem to recal one or two trying peanuts. I have used peanut meal in one of my mixes to good effect.

Nick C

Hi men,

Tigers are perfectly safe , used them for 30+ years for carp , and now the ready perpared tubs make it easier !. There is a new product coming in from Spain where they have skinned the nut ( through a chemical process if I remember right , but stand to be corrected ) , these are softer to start with , but still need perpetration . I'm trying to get hold of these , as they look really good .

Have they caught barbel , deffinatly ,are there better baits , deffinatly , are they worth a go , deffinatly .

Hatter

ok chris if you think theyre safe for carp why have a lot of carp fisheries banned them.
Oh and i was using them for carp fishing 37 years ago but stopped when i found out theyre not good if they are not prepared properly and also the problem of old stock too, again i repeat theres nothing aimed at people on these boards, merely observations over 37 years, one more observation is ask yourselves why barbel bait producers/vendors haven,t pushed them too.

John, you hit the nail on the head ''if they are not prepared properly'', perfectly ok otherwise, just don't use too many. When ready prepared black tigers first appeared commercially (CC Moore, I think) I believe a couple of anglers caught a few barbel using them, I guess they resemble snails. May catch the odd rarely caught fish.

If you are worried about the safety use the ready prepared ones.
To be honest the whole safety aspect of peanuts/tigers has been hugely exaggerated by people who prefer opinions over facts.
I have never used tigers for barbel but my gut feeling is that there are better baits for barbel.
Phil.W

"you should have seen some of the deaduns i saw in the valley, carp"
I have been carp fishing as long as you,I have never met anyone else who has claimed to have have seen a dead fish attributed to tigers/peanuts.
The whole problem was more theoretical than actually experienced on lakes.
Phil.W

Considering the amount of chemicals used in baits anything that is not completely natural could have a detrimental effect on fish but we all still use them, I have no idea if tigers (which are not actually nuts) are any good for barbel but I have found some on the banks of the Derbyshire Derwent but that does have a good head of carp in it.

The only time tiger nuts are dangerous is during the collection process. If the anaesthetic wears off too soon....

See...the old ones are the best :D

Seriously though John, there were as you say loads of stories around concerning the dangers of tigers that were not properly prepared, just as there were about the toxins produced by moulds on cheap peanuts. And yes, there were LOTS of dead carp around at times. I have seen everything from the odd dead fish to almost total wipe-outs...and these stories abounded among the groups of angry carpers viewing the desolation on their waters. Thing is, virtually every time we got the EA to attend and send fish off for examination, it turned out to be Spring Vireamia that killed them. Now that it is a notifiable disease, and appropriate measures are taken, it doesn't occur so often. Such is life mate.

Take care of yourself John.

Cheers, Dave.

ok chris if you think theyre safe for carp why have a lot of carp fisheries banned them.
Oh and i was using them for carp fishing 37 years ago but stopped when i found out theyre not good if they are not prepared properly and also the problem of old stock too, again i repeat theres nothing aimed at people on these boards, merely observations over 37 years, one more observation is ask yourselves why barbel bait producers/vendors haven,t pushed them too.

A lot of fisheries ban pellets, hemp, boilies, groundbait, meat, bloodworm & joker....Does that mean they're not safe to use as well?
Also Sonubaits and Dynamite baits both have entire ranges of baits based around tiger nuts, so they have been "pushed".

I'm sure they'd work if you get them feeding. I recon you could catch them on anything once they had their heads down looking for food! The black tigers are CC Moore, I saw em at a show but couldnt find them on their website. If anyone knows a website where I can pick these up please can you let me know?

Back