• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Three questions.

Jeff Collins

No Longer a Member
Sadly the season is over. Some have prospered, some haven't. I thought I would start a thread about the highs/lows of barbel fishing. So answer the following please.

Q1. What was your highlight of the outgoing season?

Q2. What was the lowlight of the outgoing season?

Q3. What will be your new approach in the upcoming season to improve your fishing?

Me

a couple of pbs for different species.

My impending divorce.

Personally I'm going to explore new waters. I've also been given a new experimental Boilie by a smallish company to test.

Ladies,gent's what are your three answers?

Regards
JC

A. Catching a sea trout from the punt at Christchurch on the float *electrifying*.
B. Only catching 6 barbel.
C. More trips to different venues and rivers.

a, 2 eight plus Tench
b, Not fishing the River Wye enough when I had the opportunity
c, To spend more time exploring a different venue (same river though)
Andy

Hi men ,

A, First bite on a Drop-shot,

B, Opening day otter diving on the barbel we were stalking ,

C, More carp fishing.

Hatter

Hi All,

1) Catching a near 15lb barbel on my chub gear and fishing for other species
2) None really
3) Having a proper crack at the Thames

1. New friends - like-minded anglers that I've met, fished with and exchanged information with over the season. Every day is a learning day!
2. Unable to get to grips with a new section of a Yorkshire river
3. Experiment with different tactics to try again on the new section of river

1) Having an exceptional first Barbel trip of the season.

2) Subsequent Barbel trips became boring, because it seemed to me that Barbs in the river I usually fish were becoming too easy to catch. As a result I did not fish as anything like as much as I usually do .

3) This season I shall probably concentrate on single rods, and roving,trying different , and possibly less attractive swims with difficult access, oh, and maybe trying new rivers.

Dave

Q1. What was your highlight of the outgoing season?

Q2. What was the lowlight of the outgoing season?

Q3. What will be your new approach in the upcoming season to improve your fishing?

A1. Banked more River Karps this year than ever before :) but still haven't reached THE target :( ,but still enjoying every minute with some stunning fish

A2. Sadly discovering and witnessing first hand one of my venues that's being 'Ottered'. The future is grim :(

A3. Realising following a bank side discussion, I've been a bit 'stuck in a rut' with my Zed fishing approach, and haven't thought enough about changing my method. Most unlike me. A long over due change has been made, initial results are promising, and the stillwater season ain't over just yet ;)

Last edited:
1/ Catching 5 x 2lb roach in a session

2/ Seeing the continued decline on rivers I have fished and loved for near 45 years

3/ Catching a 10lb tench by simply spending more time on a venue - especially into evenings.

1/ Seeing the smile on my dads face when he caught his first double

2/ Fracturing my ankle while out fishing

3/ Targeting other species

Dave

1, Catching a 2LB 13OZ river roach by design on the float 2,Pulling out of 2 roach in 2 casts at the net, that both looked bigger fish,and Keith Speer Passing away 3,I think I cannot improve my fishing but think that trying different methods keeps the interest/buzz going,i am going to try fly fishing small streams this close season,something that i have not done for years.

A1. Banked more River Karps this year than ever before :) but still haven't reached THE target :( ,but still enjoying every minute with some stunning fish

EG

L13%20Carp%2017.11%2031Oct14e_zpslg01fqv5.jpg

A2. Sadly discovering and witnessing first hand one of my venues that's being 'Ottered'. The future is grim :(

A3. Realising following a bank side discussion, I've been a bit 'stuck in a rut' with my Zed fishing approach, and haven't thought enough about changing my method. Most unlike me. A long over due change has been made, initial results are promising, and the stillwater season ain't over just yet ;)

Just look at the condition of that Common, stunning:eek:

Two 13lb plus barbel with two 12's in close succession, the Severn record going to Kev Gittins, never was a record more deserved.

I could say the poorish end to the season for me, but that would be too selfish.

I promise to get the float rod out more. Fish locally.

Just look at the condition of that Common, stunning:eek:

I pleasingly also had another one of those heart stopping moments this season Neil. (I recall a post of yours on the old forum where you detailed the 'pull' from something unstoppable, and it's what we go fishing for isn't it :D )

Clearly I don't go out under gunned, and I am quite firm on the clutch etc, but last Summer I had another 'Oh no, this one ain't stopping'

A real angry beast of a fish, and one of half a dozen that have done this to me since I started fishing for them some years ago. :D

Last edited:
Lovely carp that Steve!

A1, beating my pb twice, first with an 11.14 then with a 12.8. Also spending more time watching fish and some great days on the float.

A2, none really, I love every minute of it!

A3, looking foreword to more of the above! Fishing with good friends and as much bank time as we can get away with ;)

Q 1 Catching my first barbel on a tough venue, and it being my second largest of the species.

Q 2 Despite considerable effort getting close but not quite reaching the magical 7lb mark for chub

Q 3 To take the lessons Learnt from my attempts at bettering my barbel P.B and to achieve that ambition.

Kind Regards
Andy

gonna fish in public owned parks and leisure grounds, golf courses and places theres not much chance of otters being allowed to get too comfortable in,
quite a bit more canal fishing for carp and tench and hopefully watch our furry friends get minced up in boats propellers:D, let the huggers cope with litter filled banks and bonfire remains, eroded untidied banks impossible for them to have a sunday stroll down to see the devastation they supported and helped cause, maybe getting gored by wild boars may make em realise very thing aint always ticketty boo and some animals turned feral can be very dangerous to chidren and adults:mad::mad:

gonna fish in public owned parks and leisure grounds, golf courses and places theres not much chance of otters being allowed to get too comfortable in,
quite a bit more canal fishing for carp and tench and hopefully watch our furry friends get minced up in boats propellers:D, let the huggers cope with litter filled banks and bonfire remains, eroded untidied banks impossible for them to have a sunday stroll down to see the devastation they supported and helped cause, maybe getting gored by wild boars may make em realise very thing aint always ticketty boo and some animals turned feral can be very dangerous to chidren and adults:mad::mad:

Yes the children, will no one think of the children?

Back