• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Three piece barbel rods

All my fishing trips are via train/bus/tube, so totally agree with this sentiment. Two pc 12 ft rods are a no-no. Like @Huanzhou Zhu I tried the Korum Opportunist Xtnd rod. Tried it once, hated it. At least my broom now has a new handle.

Now, if legering/rolling, I use the JW travel rods (Avon & Barbel, the new AD versions) and for the money they are brilliant. Paired with a Korum Opportunist XTD landing net handle it’s a super-compact, tube-friendly set up.
IMG_5888.jpeg

If float fishing it’ll be a Drennan Tench, Korum Glide (3pc 12ft) or Acolyte Plus, the longest rod I risk on public transport.

yes I bought the JW travel Avon 1.25 (new AD version) for my recent holiday in France and I have to agree for the money its brilliant, I didn't catch any barbel but I hd several river carp over 20lb and it performed superbly well.

All my fishing trips are via train/bus/tube, so totally agree with this sentiment. Two pc 12 ft rods are a no-no. Like @Huanzhou Zhu I tried the Korum Opportunist Xtnd rod. Tried it once, hated it. At least my broom now has a new handle.

Now, if legering/rolling, I use the JW travel rods (Avon & Barbel, the new AD versions) and for the money they are brilliant. Paired with a Korum Opportunist XTD landing net handle it’s a super-compact, tube-friendly set up.
View attachment 24691

If float fishing it’ll be a Drennan Tench, Korum Glide (3pc 12ft) or Acolyte Plus, the longest rod I risk on public transport.
I did exactly the same when I live in London , a jw Avon travel rod or jw young travel barbel.

Since I am now in Oxford, I can manage to cycle with 2pc 11ft rod if not passing the town centre. But for my style of fishing the shorter the travel length the better.

I did exactly the same when I live in London , a jw Avon travel rod or jw young travel barbel.

Since I am now in Oxford, I can manage to cycle with 2pc 11ft rod if not passing the town centre. But for my style of fishing the shorter the travel length the better.
I don’t envy you lol. I once had to cycle back with a replacement tip section taped to my bike. Felt like I was carrying a rocket launcher.
IMG_4702.jpeg

I don’t envy you lol. I once had to cycle back with a replacement tip section taped to my bike. Felt like I was carrying a rocket launcher.
View attachment 24694
That’s just how we got about when I was a kid. Admittedly not 6ft lengths but 4ft. Rod strapped to crossbar with sisal, unless you were lucky to have a pair of roller skate straps which buckled up, a few bits of tackle a jam sarnie and a drink in an ex-army bag on yer back and off we went. 🤣

The 4 piece barbel by Harrison is a gem of a rod, when set up it can be broken down to two equal pieces, it is a touch stiffer than the two section rod because of the added spigots and handles good fish in fast water.
And if you do break them down for transit they could almost be carried in your tackle bag. Try Davis Tackle.

On what rivers are you looking to use the rod, Paul?

I have two Greys 4 piece stalker rods so you can use it at either 9 or 12ft.

I think it's about a 2-21/4 TC so more suited for bigger rivers if fishing for barbel.

Yateley Angling Centre used to do a Harrison stalker with a separate extension piece that are very highly sought after these days.

I'm surprised more rod companies haven't gone down the 9/12ft route
I was looking at the Tackle Box's website last night, and was shaking my head in disbelief at the amount of rods Freespirit have these days!
With that in mind, they must have something in the range for you 😂

I was looking at the Tackle Box's website last night, and was shaking my head in disbelief at the amount of rods Freespirit have these days!
With that in mind, they must have something in the range for you 😂
The biggest disappointment for me is they discontinued the s range barbel rods.

I am still waiting for the ctx travel barbel rod, I saw the prototype 4 years ago, and they are still not out. They did make two carp travel rods though.

Great to see there are others who go fishing on bike/public transport, and so favour 3-piece rods like me (Though I often use 2-piece rods when my Mrs is driving). I've been desperately searching for a replacement for my Browning Hybrid Barbel rod (NB not Browning hybrid feeder rod which are much more common), but have failed, so after researching how "heavy" "heavy feeder" and "distance feeder" rods can be, I recently got a pair of vintage Colmic heavy feeder rods off eBay (Tricast Tribune blank) which I was assured by the owner had been his River Severn barbel rods for years. I had to meet him for collection in Shrewsbury more cos he wanted me to see the rods, sold as seen, rather than because he didn't want to post them. A great, genuine bloke whose angling stories convinced me these rods were as good as he said. No section longer than 4 foot, plus optional dolly section makes them less than 12 foot or 13.5 footers. Great to have that flexibility, and the nice second-hand value price is what you need when cycling, etc. Even if I could afford Harrison rods (and heaven knows I would certainly love to support any Merseyside company of that name), I couldn't risk them on the number 7 bus to Boston Spa (on which my favourite Browning barbel rod got broken)

So far I am very pleased with the pair. They cast 5oz feeders or 1.5 oz leads, they play medium-sized barbel nicely. Not had a big 'un on them yet.

There is one on eBay atm with 5+ days left - search Colmic wr9 heavy feeder rod chub barbel tricast blank (listed as "comic" :-D) .... but says the dolly section is stuck on and the owner can't shift it, so in fact this would transport at over 5 foot, negating the benefit (maybe explains why listed as "Comic" LOL).

Last edited:
, so in fact this would transport at over 5 foot, negating the benefit
Suddenly realised I was wrong about this - even with the stuck dolly section it would transport at three 4 foot sections with tips separate, which is precisely why I got two of these myself.
When i realised this, i decided I would have liked to bid, if the price was right, to get myself a third one of the same rod, but the auction had ended.

Back