• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Thomas Wood - Wye & Usk

Hi. I don’t want to stir up trouble being an occasional poster here, but ‘From Another Angle’ (presumably part of Wye & Usk) just posted a video about access to Thomas Wood on the Wye.

Given that the video title refers to vehicle access, I felt entitled to make what I thought was a balanced comment on the YouTube page having visited last October (and had problems getting back up the hill).

In return, the video publishers have seen fit to accuse me of exaggeration, made light of the underlying issue (despite them drawing attention to it in first place), and made a nasty personal insult (see comments on YouTube).

I have always tried to give W&U the benefit of the doubt given others comments on them. Not anymore - now it feels quite personal.
Apologies for downbeat post - but I thought it worth sharing.

I note that since I posted this, comments have been removed from YouTube! Luckily, I kept screenshots. Again - apologies for bringing the tone of the forum down. But I am v annoyed!

Attachments

• 173F291C-B61C-4C1B-B675-A174B9F03EBA.png
    173F291C-B61C-4C1B-B675-A174B9F03EBA.png
    271.5 KB · Views: 487
  • BCEF6697-1455-43C0-B1C0-E89B8A245306.png
    BCEF6697-1455-43C0-B1C0-E89B8A245306.png
    232.2 KB · Views: 464
The fishery is lovely.

My initial comments were on the track down to the river, which I struggled with last October in a 2wd estate. Given comments on the fishing passport log, I’m not the only one.

And the customer is always right (or at least shouldn’t be insulted & belittled)? Particularly when paying W&U prices?

Point taken, but I don't see what WUF can do more with the track,. I suppose gravel is the only material that can be used. The fishery is opposite the Worcester AA stretch Lower Bishopswood, which is DT, used to be a tennner! I guess WUF want about £35 a day, for the same stretch, which is why don't fish WUF anymore. BAA have Stacklands, for £40 a season ticket or £30 if you are a retired gent or lady. Stacklands is opposite Caradoc on WUF again £35 or so for the same stretch.
With dwindling Barbel numbers, even the Wye, the cost WUF impose for me is ridiculous, however the Wye is special, even though she is exploited by hired kayaks and now the WUF. They have grabbed miles of what was affordable fishing for the working man, and now placed it beyond many.

I do sympathise Neil in reference to the WUF buying up beats and driving the price up for locals/regulars. Personally I don’t mind paying £25 for a day ticket, by the time fuel, bait, accommodation, food etc is accounted all for It’s a drop in the ocean. Although if I couldn’t just drop into either of my local rivers without chucking £24-30 a go, I wouldn’t be able to go once a week as I do and I’d be pissed. Hopefully the local clubs do manage to keep hold of beats. It does bear in mind what value some, many clubs offer.

I like having the WUF option of being reassured the stretch I am going to fish will have a limited number of anglers. I get the impression there are camping and holiday sites along most BAA waters. After my last few outings I also feel my car is more secure in WUF car parks.

I have seen people get stuck on the Lower Itchen Fishery which Is relatively flat. The track is a nightmare for non 4x4s. Most people know they would receive short shrift if they complained.

I like walking along the river and find having my car parked behind my swim to be restrictive - I am less likely to roam. It's something I associate with commercial fisheries. Providing parking behind river swims is becoming more common and it affects my sensibility. Tadpole Bridge on the Upper Thames is a prime example which is like fishing in the middle of a car boot sale.

And the Silly thing is. WUF angling efforts make not a penny profit for the Organisation.

So many club waters lost, Lower Lydbrook, Symonds Yat for example affecting local and club anglers with maybe not so deep pockets.

I will never contribute a penny to WUF or the other lot.
I'm not au fait with the politics so what is the 'Organisation' and the 'other lot'? I treat myself to their waters 4 to 6 times a year and the WUF coarse angling people I have met seem by and large earnest enough - the salmon and trout not so much.

Well, I suppose if you delved deep enough you would find most organisations to be far from perfect. Everything has to be run like a business these days and that inevitably attracts the self seeking, awkward, and greedy.

Its a very steep hill I'd recommended 4x4 and indeed the comments and video are from Angling Dreams. I'm sure when completely dry a 2wd will manage it. As the video shows a 4wd have they even attempted it themselves in a 2wd when wet? I doubt it.

Back