• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

They're getting very bold now..

Chris Guy

ad: Otters in Bedford...
  1. 26-12-2018, 17:53#1

user-offline.png
    reputation_pos.png
    reputation_pos.png
    reputation_pos.png
    reputation_pos.png
    reputation_pos.png
    reputation_highpos.png
    reputation_highpos.png
    reputation_highpos.png

Join DateMay 2017LocationLuton Bedfordshire.Posts1,906
    icon1.png
    Otters in Bedford...

Myself as the family went for our Boxing day walk,today we decided on along the river at Bedford,well,we had walked on the path between the river and the boating lake when I spotted a few people gathered at the boathouse end,when we got there and looked in at the corner there were three otters porpoising and catching small roach in around fifteen inches of water,totally oblivious to the thirty or so people(some with dogs), amazed, one particular animal came within six feet of us two or three times...As I say amazing as it was around 1.30pm.​
  2. So even little roach seem to be on the menu now. :\​

Hi me,

The upper Lea is goung to be carnage , we have seen the best of this little gem. The makeup of the Lea makes it simular to some of the lovely shallow Oxfordshire waters Sue fished , now a shadow of their pomp , we were waiting for them to arrive , not great news .

Hatter

Hi me,

The upper Lea is goung to be carnage , we have seen the best of this little gem. The makeup of the Lea makes it simular to some of the lovely shallow Oxfordshire waters Sue fished , now a shadow of their pomp , we were waiting for them to arrive , not great news .

Hatter
It's disgraceful that no action can be taken legally. As you say Mark, it'll be carnage. Small, clear running river, with very little depth - it'll be all to easy for them. Mind you, I wouldn't know if it's just been a solitary sighting.

Hi men,

Chris , iv herd of them not far downstream at Lemsford / Stanborough , which is really the lower end of what is really the upper Lea , or there abouts .

Hatter

They are everywhere now and most Uk rivers have a population,but most are nocturnal so few people see them. I strongly suspect (without proof) the ones you see during the day are recent releases,wild animals usually try to avoid humans. The Ravenbourne river in Lewisham,Grand union canal,Colne in west london and the tiny Bulbourne at Hemel hempstead all have Otters. It seems that Nature reserves are not complete without an Otter. Its like a badge of merit to show what a good job they have done.

River Ure is ruined imo most of the fish are gone and will probably never return well done government and ea

It’s my personal non scientificly backed opinion that seeing an otter in daylight it’s the opposite to what the “environmentalists” think. By their very nature these creatures are crepuscular, they aren’t programmed to hunt in daylight. I believe just like seeing an owl in the day, it’s an indication that the animal is having to work longer hours due to a lean leader. Ie is struggling. When you consider the state of their preferred prey, eels and sea trout, it stacks up.

The otter isn’t an indication of an improving environment but a opertunistic predator with a varied and adaptable diet, that’s proliferating despite the state of its environment.

Back