• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

thermometer

When every digital thermometer seems to state accuracy as +/-1°C then what's the point? A degree is actually a big difference considering what anglers want it for.

But in theory it will always be a constant ?

Yours could say 5 mine could say 6 , but as long as the direction is the same ........

Indication only in my eyes

I'd agree there Stuart, as long as the temperature is going the right direction it doesn't make a huge difference to me what the actual numbers are.
Saying that though I only ever occasionally take the temperature out of curiosity, as I'm hardly going to turn back and drive home if the temperature is a degree or two out of being favourable, bait being in the water and all that......

Taking the temperature is more of an indication of which way the water temperature is changing. However i get confused trying to correlate it with water colour, tide heights, time of high tide, light levels and pressure etc so I don't bother now!

never used one, when i'm hungry i eat, cold or hot , and weather the sun is out or not,or the moon for that matter, and eat protein or choccy biccies, (never gone past a choccy hob nob for a hnv dinner)
happy new year ,
regards jim

Something in that Jim.many moons ago I came second in a river match .but for losing a big chub at the net at the whistle I would have won it I have a thermoneter but never think about it was icy and to boot in a snowstorm and the water was freezing cold
Albert

As an angler with limited time, knowing what the water temp is doing is helpful in deciding whether to target barbel or other species instead. For that alone a thermometer is useful.

Of course an inaccurate reading will show trends, which is great. However, if the water's say, 3°C and the thermometer is showing something else it could be the difference between a blank and having a chance. I'd rather know what it actually is and make an informed choice but each to their own. It also depends on whether you are transfixed on Barbel only or willing to give other species a go. We all know some people can sit on a frosty bank and maybe catch a Barbel but life's too short so I prefer to keep the odds in my favour if I can.

Our bailiff has been recording and publishing water temperature on a daily basis over the past two winters. His second digital thermometer has now packed up which makes me wonder how reliable they are so I have just ordered a Fishpond Stream thermometer. This is a standard thermometer in an aluminium protective casing.

I think trends in temp are important (born out by results) so I will be recording water temp as well as weight/length etc from now on.

I have taken temps on still waters In winter and always looked for 4 degrees preferably anything less and you expected to struggle.
Never taken a temp on a river but thinking about it with the flowing water it could be changing regularly, so do you leave the probe In the water whilst fishing?
I presume the water In the margins could possibly bear little resemblance to the deeper channel same In a still water so any readings will be only a rough guide anyway.
Archie Braddock used to recommend the thermometers that were tyed to the end of the reel line and also the depthometers:rolleyes:
Any thoughts:D

Hi John
Which club has been publishing water temperatures. I'm sure that this could be very useful, in that it could relate to other rivers. Any chance of a link?

Thanks Colin

I have taken temps on still waters In winter and always looked for 4 degrees preferably anything less and you expected to struggle.
Never taken a temp on a river but thinking about it with the flowing water it could be changing regularly, so do you leave the probe In the water whilst fishing?
I presume the water In the margins could possibly bear little resemblance to the deeper channel same In a still water so any readings will be only a rough guide anyway.
Archie Braddock used to recommend the thermometers that were tyed to the end of the reel line and also the depthometers:rolleyes:
Any thoughts:D

The temp doesn't really alter that much in a river Steve and as others haver said it's the trend that's relevant. As a rough guide, if a hard frost looks likely then the water temp will start to drop quite quickly at dusk. But it doesn't rise as quickly from air temperature, generally warm rain brings it up much quicker.

I understand those who say if you're at the river anyway why bother but to me a thermometer is an essential winter fishing tool. Preferably you should know the previous days temperature (available on Riverline) and take the temp before you do anything else. The stability or otherwise of the temperature should have a big influence on how much, if any, you bait up. It can also affect the bait you use and what size hook bait. A cheap one for a fiver or so from any garden shop or ironmongers is adequate, drop it in the landing net, leave it for 30 seconds and you have a reading.

Stephen,
Nice and cheap, but the lead is a bit on the short side (80cms). The TM03 looks very similar to one I bought in Maplins a few years ago. It's stood the test of time ok, my only gripe would be the lack of an on/off switch, so you have to either remove or isolate the battery with a piece of card.

Back