• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Thermals

Carl Hall

Hi, I'm looking for new thermals but I'm totally confused by whats on offer wool not wool etc etc it's the base layer underwear I require any ideas welcome

Cheers Carl

I use Pringle thermal tops, skin base layer, very good, in fact a bit too warm sometimes.I never bother with the bottoms, just wear a set of snowboarding padded thermal trousers that I found in a Ski shop sale, they are also the mutts nutts !

Here for the thermals....

Pringle Thermal Long Sleeved Top - Matalan

Dave

Merino wool base layers are the best, no question in my mind, but they are expensive. Quality man made fibres wick moisture away OK, but just don't insulate like merino wool. They also smell pretty foul after one wear, unlike merino wool which is naturally anti bacterial. I buy Finisterre merino wool base layers on e-bay at discounted rates. Usually get the long sleeve top or bottoms for £25 each. I'm 5ft 11" and 13 and a half stone and buy the XL which fits OK. I rate them so highly I even bought some merino underpants !

Nick C

Best iv had is the cheap and cheerful chub undersuit £24.99 but as i found out last night the bib and brace suit needs to go over top of this as i had a bit more clothing underneath and the suit never did its job as my bodyheat didnt get through to the thermal suit

Go to camping shop I wouldn't buy a tackke brand. You get what you pay for I paid just over £100 for mine and money well spent.The pringle thermals are not the best cause you sweat in them and get dam

Last edited:
Go to camping shop I wouldn't buy a tackke brand. You get what you pay for I paid just over £100 for mine and money well spent.The pringle thermals are not the best cause you sweat in them and get dam

Depends if your sweaty... I"m not ;)

Dave

Another Sundridge Sleep Skin user and think its great but it's all I've ever used so can't really compair it to others. Never needed to though to be honest.

Same as Dean, I wouldnt touch fishing clothing, as its far too bulky and generally not layered. All i need is some craghopper winterlined trousers as the lining is just like a layer of thermal bottoms, Snugpak salopettes and my ex military goretex over my salopettes. For the upper i use seeland microfleece, a fleece that i can only describe as something like a sheeps outer coat, a snugpak jacket and of course military goretex over this. The goretex wicks away any sweat by being colder than the inner. All my warmers kit is stowed in a very small day sack and put on when I arrive at my peg not sweating like a muppet getting there...:D
You wont go far wrong with ex miliary long jons and tops for the very coldest days.

I will echo Johns kit with the exception of base layer I use a tech base layer I bought from Go outdoors, cost me £90 fro top and bottoms, money well spent, I use this and army snugpack trousers and jacket over the top to walk to swims, then on goes a goretex trouser/jacket set, again ex army. Windproof breathable waterproof,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Spend a fortune on a designer base layer if you want, but if you just want to stay warm Sundridge Sleepskin is all you need. The only downside of it is it does go a bit "bobbly" after a few washes,

Another "yes" for Sundridge Sleepskin. Have had mine for about eight winters now, agree it does go a bit bobbly after a lot of washes but not a problem for me. Great to use for winter motorcycling as well.

Carl, the brand is Finisterre (surfing gear), just look them up on e-bay. They have their own shop but if you buy direct you'll pay normal prices whereas they tend to sell off XL stuff cheap on e-bay.

Nick C

Back