• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The 'toach'

Neil Partridge

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

i couldn't believe my eyes, whilst messing in my garden today something in my pond caught my eye,
the fish often spook off the top as i walk past but a toad decided to make for cover on to my lily basket, whilst attached to one of my roach.
after a minute or two i decided to net them out, but would it let go of the fish NO WAY & what a bloody noise it made too.
do you think that due to the mild spell they are 'having a go' early .......(& this one had its beer goggles on)
we often hear them later in year croaking etc. whilst they watch over there brood of spawn ( i think thats what they were doing anyway) but i never seen or heard ofthis though.
the roach was on its last legs because it was having its life sqeezed ot of it,
in the end i dropped them over the edge in the long grass behind my garden. (should of frozen the roach for a deadbbait really but never thought till after)
can anyone shed light or have seen such a thing before.
sorry the 1st pic is a bit blurd.

01032012519.jpg

01032012518.jpg

20120301_163436.jpg

Last edited:
Neil
It's a frog :) and mine have already spawned as long as 2 weeks ago, always same time of year around Feb 10th. When they are in the mood for mating they will attach to fish I saw one trying it on with my Ghost Carp the other day. It really is an orgy when you get lots of them in one go several males trying to lock on to one female. In some instance they drown as they can not come up for air. I guess us humans are not that much differnt lol

Brian

thinking about it brian, of coarse its a frog, what was i thinking, its just that i find lots of toads in my garden, (under stuff etc.)
still its a bit mad isn't it.

I thought I'd seen something like this before.

From Ask Jeeves:

Would a frog, in a garden pond kill fish ?
If it is a big frog such as a bullfrog then yes they could kill the fish because they eat them. Normal little tree frogs probably won't kill fish. There also have been reports from pond books and sites of frogs killing fish because they think the fish are other frogs during mating season. If the frog grabs the fish so it can't move it gills then the fish would dies because of the frog. http://en.allexperts.com/q/Pond-Water-Ga…

Least that Roach knows how Sarah Brightman felt !

Simon,

Sarah Brightman! what was she doing with that "toad" ALW anyway when she could have me, she could have played with my salamander. I call it salamander because its "my newt" She definitely could have been my pal mate.

Thats enough of that!!

Mic

Back