• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The state of our rivers

Shame the article starts “The groups, which include surfers, canoeists and environmental activists” you’ve got to get half way down the article to even see a mention of angling.

Shame the article starts “The groups, which include surfers, canoeists and environmental activists” you’ve got to get half way down the article to even see a mention of angling.
I find it frustrating that anglers have long been the most natural and passionate environmentalists, but are regarded as rabid bloodsport loving sadists by many.

River swimming in this area has increased dramatically this year.

7614AEBC-98FB-4186-9745-F516BDABA1B9.jpeg

I find it frustrating that anglers have long been the most natural and passionate environmentalists, but are regarded as rabid bloodsport loving sadists by many.
I think your right, the non angling public do tend to view anglers as a bit odd. Most really don’t have a clue what we get up to. The only way that changes is to take these people out fishing to experience it first hand.

I think the vast of the public majority either regard anglers as harmless eccentric's or complete ambivalence. There are those anti's who hold a dislike of angling and fields sports but they are currently a small, but vociferous, minority.

I think some anglers are passionate environmentalists, they get a lot done and make a difference, then there are those who do their bit and make useful contribution, and then there are those who talk the talk, particularly on forums, without actually ever doing anything, save from signing the occasional petition. I'd say the majority just want to go fishing, and leave it at that.

I think the vast of the public majority either regard anglers as harmless eccentric's or complete ambivalence. There are those anti's who hold a dislike of angling and fields sports but they are currently a small, but vociferous, minority.

I think some anglers are passionate environmentalists, they get a lot done and make a difference, then there are those who do their bit and make useful contribution, and then there are those who talk the talk, particularly on forums, without actually ever doing anything, save from signing the occasional petition. I'd say the majority just want to go fishing, and leave it at that.
Even so, anglers are often the first to notice problems in our waterways whether they're able to take part in practical conservation work or lobbying etc or not. The canaries in the mine so to speak 😁. I think even discussing issues on forums is playing a part, although, granted, a small part.

The vast majority of antis, I suspect, don't spend much time in the countryside at all! 🙄😂

There seems to be a lot in the national press about the state of our rivers a lately. Hopefully something might get done about it but I'll not hold my breath

Quite a few I recon, would take a fair bit of momentum to get it rolling. I think it would have an impact to, it’s a big statement and would hurt where counts, MONEY.

It would be a very powerful statement. One that would attract a lot of publicity and one that the politicians would find very hard to ignore.

Can’t see the Angling Trust supporting that idea - they derive a significant chunk of their income from rod licence revenues! Still a good idea though, but it would need to be very well supported to have any real impact.

Dave

No doubt won't appeal to many, but you could boycott the licence in favour of an Angling Trust membership 😐

Interesting idea, I'd like to see how long it would take the "underfunded agency" to come up with any number of Bailiffs to check!

One step forward, two steps back..

Thiamethoxam is water soluble and therefore able to readily leach into surface waters and has been found to have a very damaging impact on aquatic invertebrates.

sro.sussex.ac.uk › ...PDF
Web results
Neonicotinoids thiamethoxam and clothianidin adversely affect the ...

Last edited:
Yes, saw this, Joe. It's disgusting - and could only happen in a post-Brexit UK. What do all the Brexiteers think now?

Back