• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The sign of a real Celebrity

Another well known angler that was happy to reply to some queries I had many years ago was Peter Wheat.
Have about 6 beautifully hand written letters on his coloured letterhead paper that he bothered to send in response.
A Gent.
I met an old fishing acquaintance last day of the season, he mentioned Peter Wheat in a incident when PW was playing a rather large Barbel on light tackle, and handed the net duties to a novice angler. His instructions was not to lift the net until he said, the netsman lifted too early and the Barbel was gone. Apparently PW was so 'sick' with that he stopped fishing for some time, but never admonished the novice.
Class.

Len Arbery is also a real gent. Has lots of stories to tell but does listen too.

I had a great natter with Jeremy at a show a few years ago a really down to earth bloke and loves his job

I had a great natter with Jeremy at a show a few years ago a really down to earth bloke and loves his job
Whenever I watch his programs I always think lucky git doing this for a living. Loved jungle hooks back in the day which is where I first saw him. I don’t go out my way to watch river monsters but do like it. I can watch pretty much any fishing program though to be fair

Luckily I will be going to Dave Steuarts 90th birthday celebration in June.

Now there is a true Gents and I feel blessed to share his friendship.

It’s true, Bootey could be a spikey, cantankerous old goat at times, but he used to make me laugh (most of the Time). I would imagine he’s wandering the land somewhere involved in a circular argument with his own shadow.

I've seen this post at top of the "New Posts" list all week. I've 'hovered' over it, and saw it was about Jeremy Wade. But I've not clicked on it as I thought it concerned a certain guy held captive in Beirut for 25yrs.
Dooooh, that was Terry Waite :oops::oops::oops: Yeah, Jeremy Wade ... a gen guy you'd like to have a pint with.

I'm not sure if my memory is playing tricks, but didn't someone admit on here, just before they got banned, they had been posting on here under the name of 'Paul Boote' as well as several other aliases?!

Hmmmm, interesting to see which poster was first to reply to that post you link to Joe. Was JC another alias??
What River Novice, aka JC who lived in Tetbury who's missus ran off with a Polish Taxi Driver and catches Barbel from the Seaside,(not the Polish Taxi Driver) and the infamous Balsam Petal mystery.
He has got enough on his plate...besides if nothing else PB hard a sharp intellect :)

Did the real Paul Boote and Richard Hamlyn have accounts on BFW or were they always Paul Bassinder ? I missed that farewell post from PB, so am now confused. He must have been really bored at work.

Back