• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The river wye .

Michael Humberstone

I believe that there has been previous comments on the river Wye Symonds yat I have 5 days away free accommodation covid permitting in early September this year near to the "Wye knot inn". Would any one with knowledge of the river in and around that locality please give me some pointers on day ticket or a weekly ticket information . I will be looking to both float fish "trotting" and ledger for chub hopefully barbel !! . The river is an unknown to me so any information would be a great help.
Thanks in anticipation.

You're going at a good time and plenty of water available in that area.
Newport Angling Association control the fishing through Symonds Yat itself, on both banks so plenrty to go at there.
Tickets from the Campsite or Saracens head, possibly other places as well. £10.
Worcester Angling Bishopswood beat not far away, either, tickets from Colts Garage or Inn on the Wye, again £10 a day.
Lots of Wye and Usk Foundation beats within easy striking distance as well if you don't mind paying up.

Last edited:
Look at www.anglingdreams.co.uk

On a non angling (with the Mrs) trip I took a look at the Worcester AC stretch below Kerne Bridge but it has very steep banks and does not look like it gets fished very much so quite overgrown. Similarly the stretch in the field above Symonds Yat has high banks. May be better in higher water conditions or if you have the agility of a mountain goat.

I would fork out the extra money and go for a booking with Angling Dreams or The Wye and Usk Foundation. The other advantage is numbers are limited so you know you will have plenty of room.

Look at www.anglingdreams.co.uk

On a non angling (with the Mrs) trip I took a look at the Worcester AC stretch below Kerne Bridge but it has very steep banks and does not look like it gets fished very much so quite overgrown. Similarly the stretch in the field above Symonds Yat has high banks. May be better in higher water conditions or if you have the agility of a mountain goat.

I would fork out the extra money and go for a booking with Angling Dreams or The Wye and Usk Foundation. The other advantage is numbers are limited so you know you will have plenty of room.

The stretch immediately below Kerne Bridge is not available to day tickets, I believe it’s full Worcester members only. I think day tickets can only fish downstream of the canoe launch...

The stretch above the church at Symonds Yat has very limited swims and gets absolutely hammered 🙄

I think it got fairly hammered last year, Bill, what with furloughed folk etc.
Seemed to be a lot more spots opened up, not all of them requiring a death defying descent!
That’s good news in one respect Ben, thanks for the update. Because of lockdown and travel restrictions I’ve not made it across this season yet, the way things are it might not be ‘till the new season.

I think it got fairly hammered last year, Bill, what with furloughed folk etc.
Seemed to be a lot more spots opened up, not all of them requiring a death defying descent!
Yes, it is from the canoe launch downstream. I was there in September and it didn't look like it had been fished very much and no one fishing the days we were there. Tickets from The Inn on the Wye which is where we stayed. Am I right in thinking Angling Dreams have the opposite bank?

The guys I spoke to staying at the hotel were all fishing W&U or Angling Dreams beats.

Back