• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The price of hemp!

Anyone bought 10KG+ of hemp lately, which is a good grain size and splits? I’m completely out and am nervous about spending £40 to £60 on something, which is crap. I notE hinders have been out of stock for some time.
Where are you based Neil ? I’m thinking Bristol way for some reason! I ask as I buy from Titmuss in Hertfordshire but they don’t deliver, collection only. Last time I bought a 20kg sack it was £40 bar a penny. The split rate was/is about 50-60% after a 24 hour soak and 25 -30 minutes (or so) boil…

Last edited:
I have just used impact i bought 20kg for £20 but the postage was £9.99 had trouble with delivery but it turned out to be DHL,s fault

Attachments

• IMG_3092.jpeg
    IMG_3092.jpeg
    190.7 KB · Views: 143
Where are you based Neil ? I’m thinking Bristol way for some reason! I ask as I buy from Titmuss in Hertfordshire but they don’t deliver, collection only. Last time I bought a 20kg sack it was £40 bar a penny. The split rate was/is about 50-60% after a 24 hour soak and 25 -30 minutes (or so) boil…
Cheshire 👍🏻

That’s kyboshed collection then Neil 🤣 I had a look at the Impact Bait site and their unprepared is very competitive and advertised carriage free. I’ve placed a small order for their hemp and groats prepared mix to see what it’s like.

I’ve bought hempseed from local pet suppliers it was £40 for 15 kg aimed at the bird feeder market the supplier to the pet shop is Albert E James from Barrow Gurney near Bristol. The seed size was average not the smallest I’ve seen but no where near jumbo or giant size it was also reasonably clean.
Wurzel hemp the best you can get
🤩

Being based in Grimsby, locally we have Haiths Birdfoods, one of the oldest and largest seed importers in the country. My last sack off them was 3 years ago and it was very small and didn’t split. Needing some for the new season, I have today contacted them and been told they stopped importing hempseed for fishing 2 years ago because it’s now all small and non splitting!
Grateful if anyone can point me to another supplier although Haiths probably supplied a great deal of outlets.
Thanks

Back