• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The perfect canine companion - which dog?

98ahk6.jpg

Well he's ready to go....!!!!:D

Well, labs do seem to win the vote.

However, this fine fellow's line management needs some attention. I suspect he spooled that reel himself.

Twice my brother took his lab fishing first time he walked to the river tackled up turned around and his spam was gone. Had to go home second time cast in after carefully prepping the swim and his lab went into the flooded river after his bait, Watching it swimming around while he got crosser and crosser was hilarious.

Had two golden retrievers for 12 years which came fishing with me. Bit tricky in the first couple of years as they liked a paddle (often up their necks) but they settled down and got into the habit of watching a stick float as it trotted down. See my avatar. Easily trained so they wouldn't wander off when my back was turned.

Try a big greyhound or lurcher. Quiet, intelligent, non demanding...and contrary to general perception, do not need too much exercise. They are patient (important that) obedient, faithful...and frightened of nothing. Great dogs.

Cheers, Dave.

Bob James' dogs were highly trained flat coat retrievers.

Back to the labradors, two years old is about right. They can be hooligans when very young. My late, lamented dog completely destroyed three old armchairs in my daughter's playroom, but turned into the most wonderful friend and companion. He died four months ago.........

Hugo

Back to the labradors, two years old is about right. They can be hooligans when very young. My late, lamented dog completely destroyed three old armchairs in my daughter's playroom, but turned into the most wonderful friend and companion. He died four months ago.........

Hugo

:(:(:(

Bob James' dogs in Passion were definitely flat coat retrievers.

We're on our second flat coat. Our first, Ollie, died at 6 years old just as he was starting to calm down.

We rashly went out and got another flat coat to fill the huge void a lost dog leaves. Our new one (Robin, now 18 months) is even more nuts that Ollie. He's hard work especially when we've got 4 and 6 year old kids.

I wouldn't recommend a flat coat as a fishing companion unless you've got A LOT of time to put into properly training it. They mature very late compared to other dogs.

When Robin is busy destroying the house, or knocking the kids over, I wish we'd got a lab! Bless him.

Regards,

Andy F

These are mine a 3 year old Collie X and a 10 month old Working Cocker. The Cocker could end a fishing companion loves the out doors. As does the Collie but after 3 minutes of inactivity the Collie starts to bark they need work and attention.

Last edited:
after losing our dog to old age we finally took the plunge again after 20 odd year break and bought another west highland terrier, shes 16 months old now:eek::eek: absolute headbanger:D:D
claims anything as her toys if she can pick it up and shake it, i get through 5 times as many socks and hankies due to em getting buried and the front lawn looks more like a world war 1 battlefield, its a typical westie, thinks its a rotweiler until the other dog turns round and then bolts for cover lol, these make great fishing companions as they wont stray far from the owner but will soon let you know if visitors are around, luvvem:):):):)

John,

I appreciate your need for a long break from a real friend. My break was 40 years, as I was heartbroken when my wonderful Welsh collie died at 18 months of age.

I wish you all the very best with your young terrier.

Warm regards,

Hugo

Hugo

I dread to imagine the pain losing your dog will cause :(

Some beautiful dogs on this thread. Here's mine when he did come fishing, he was great but the Mrs was also there to look after him!

thanks for you kind remarks Ian, had to think long and hard but my grandson who lives a few hundred yards away wanted one but his mum said No! well hes got one round here lol i got one with short legs:D

Back