• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The National Barbel Record

Ian Hugo Arnott

Following on from the "Is barbel fishing in decline" thread, I wonder if we have reached the ultimate weight for Barbus Barbus?

It is some time now since the record was set and many of our rivers have a stock of aged, large fish, but the real monsters are no longer there, apparently.

Food for thought and I would be interested in your thoughts.

Regards,

Hugo

Hi

I believe the record is out there for the taking. The amount of quality bait fed to our pets :) make it inevitable

I also believe some electro netting was done a few years ago on a stretch and reports of a couple of monsters were in the bag :rolleyes:

My days of running around the country after the ultimate big fish are over. I prefer to pass on a little knowledge try for an odd fish then retire to the comfort of the house :)

regards J

Hi

I believe the record is out there for the taking. The amount of quality bait fed to our pets :) make it inevitable

I also believe some electro netting was done a few years ago on a stretch and reports of a couple of monsters were in the bag :rolleyes:

My days of running around the country after the ultimate big fish are over. I prefer to pass on a little knowledge try for an odd fish then retire to the comfort of the house :)

regards J

Yes the two 20lb Barbel that were electo fished from the Lower Teme, that tale I told on here that was given to me by my actor friend at Severn Stoke, and yet to this day they remain elusive, or do they? ;)

Yes the two 20lb Barbel that were electo fished from the Lower Teme, that tale I told on here that was given to me by my actor friend at Severn Stoke, and yet to this day they remain elusive, or do they? ;)

nice guess but your on the wrong river to what I am referring to ;) Before I get bombarded I have my tinhat there is a forum member on here with a very good fish from the stretch that can confirm :D

I do think the record will be broken over the next few years :) Just my thoughts John.

When I is broken I am sure it will be from a river that most people didn't expect !! That's if it gets reported at all......

A barbel just under the current record has been confirmed, i think the record has long gone but not officially.

here you go

(Great) Ouse
November 2006
Grahame King

Dont forget the Ivel fish at 20lb 7oz caught last year by Dave Currell. I believe theres a few more around in various rivers. With the quality of bait going in, for me its a matter of time.

I also suspect fish bigger than the current record have already been caught but many would keep such captures quiet

I also suspect fish bigger than the current record have already been caught but many would keep such captures quiet

They don't want a Adams mill Circus to descend on their river, Don't blame em, I know if i was lucky enough to catch a barbel bigger than the record, i would keep it quiet as well, Who needs Glory hound city!

Last edited:
They don't want a Adams mill Circus to descend on their river, Don't blame em, I know if i was lucky enough to catch a barbel bigger than the record, i would keep it quiet as well, Who needs Glory hound city!

Quite, those poor fish got absolutely hammered.......

Quality bait has been going in some rivers for decades and in large quantities, and still they haven't produced anything to beat the current record, and now we have otters. I would say the big Ivel fish are on borrowed time and that applies to most big fish in small to medium sized rivers. The Trent is the most likely to beat the current best IMO, but I'm not putting any money on it, the record has stood for as long as it has for a reason - the times they are a changing.

Nick C

record

21lb 2oz Barbel was had from the Wensum a few years back. Pictures were posted but alas the Otters have decimated the Wensum and Barbel are a very rare species on the Wensum now.

Back