• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The Method

Paul Bullinger

Senior Member & Supporter
Not sure where I saw this, but I seem to recall reading an article about someone wanting to try barbel fishing using "The Method". I am a fan of this style of fishing, but have never considered it for barbel fishing. In fact I have only EVER used it on stillwaters. Has anyone ever tried using it for barbel and if so was it successful?

I would guess a back lead would be advantageous with such a method as theyll feeding practically on top of your main incoming line? Never tried it myself but cant see why it wouldn’t work well.

I used to use this tactic a lot on small rivers.... Usually just backwind a feeder in between streamer weed or under the nearside bank. Made my mix from simple scalded trout pellets, big halibut on the hook with a 6" hook length. A couple of blobs of plasticine above a foot of rig tube and it pins down lovely. The bigger the ball the better as it doesn't take long for ever critter down there to break it all up. As Paul says, the bites are insane!
I revisited the method a couple of seasons ago on a pressured small river and did really well, it's definitely worth a go.

Anyone remember 'Vitalin' as a ground bait additive and bulker in method mix? Very cheap and the fish seem to like it.

Cheers
Bob
That's actually what I've used the few times I've used a method feeder in flowing water : plain Vitalin, or more likely boosted Vitalin with flavourings and particles (pellets, hemp, pigeon conditioner etc). Very cheap ... unlike mix in that video above that looked like it'd cost more than a season ticket:rolleyes:. I've not used a method feeder often though, but Vitalin can be made so sticky that it'll stick well around any ledger.

A very simplified way of fishing the 'Method' is to mold paste to and around your lead and the press pellets/offerings into the surface of the paste.
Can be very effective when sitting it out for that one fish and bait used (cost) over a few sessions is significantly reduced.

I've used it but it seemed to appeal to chub a lot more than barbel, and they were ' hanging' themselves. Definitely responding to the cast and attacking it within seconds.
Can't complain as I landed my PB chub of 7-2 ( summer) using it.😁
As much as I like and respect Martin Bowler, I do think that video is blatant product promotion for Sticky Baits and a bit OTT.
Good baits though.

I've used it but it seemed to appeal to chub a lot more than barbel, and they were ' hanging' themselves. Definitely responding to the cast and attacking it within seconds.
Can't complain as I landed my PB chub of 7-2 ( summer) using it.😁
As much as I like and respect Martin Bowler, I do think that video is blatant product promotion for Sticky Baits and a bit OTT.
Good baits though.
The amount he was mixing you need to be sponsored...but it has given me a few ideas, not least for the lonely packet of Sticky method I have.
Still inclined to believe barbel back off from feeders and single baits over feed is better. Used to catch well with feeders but they seem to have learnt they spell danger....as said moulding around a lead might be the way to go with a very stiff mix. After the initial assault with the bopper of course.😐

I would agree Neil. When conditions allow I tend to use as small a feeder as I can get away if I have to use one, and a very modest bait on the hook.
Worked last season versus my usual approach of a loaded 3oz feeder and a couple of elips pellets or 12mm boilies
We went on the river for a mooch at the weekend and baited a swim and watched them for about an hour or so.
Just 4-6mm pellets and the chub moved in and intercepted all the pellets mid water. Very confident.. Any barbel spooked with just a handful of pellets going in over their heads but when we eventually got some bait on the deck, the barbel were voracious, but departed if bait was re-introduced. And we're not talking a gin clear chalk stream here. Apply that to a big feeder crashing in and I suspect that would put them right back.
That Sticky active/ method mix is very strong , and I use as a floodwater binder mixed with normal groundbait and it really takes some emptying, but that works for me as I just want a scent trail with odd bits getting washed out

I used to use this tactic a lot on small rivers.... Usually just backwind a feeder in between streamer weed or under the nearside bank. Made my mix from simple scalded trout pellets, big halibut on the hook with a 6" hook length. A couple of blobs of plasticine above a foot of rig tube and it pins down lovely. The bigger the ball the better as it doesn't take long for ever critter down there to break it all up. As Paul says, the bites are insane!
I revisited the method a couple of seasons ago on a pressured small river and did really well, it's definitely worth a go.
Exactly how I used to fish it Dan !!

He did mention that a decent boilie base mix would also be equally as good as a binder so you got options (although boilie base mixes are expensive nowadays) …….. semolina perhaps????

There is a Youtube video of Barbel reacting to both cage and method in line feeder, although not ideal, it does give an insight into wariness. They seem happy to accept loose pellets, but back off both feeders. The Barbel are happy to feed around the feeders, one does however actually mouth the feeder, when nearly empty, but mostly they leave alone or smoke off!!
Given the popularity of the barbel bomb etc, its seems feasible that they do learn.

There is a Youtube video of Barbel reacting to both cage and method in line feeder, although not ideal, it does give an insight into wariness. They seem happy to accept loose pellets, but back off both feeders. The Barbel are happy to feed around the feeders, one does however actually mouth the feeder, when nearly empty, but mostly they leave alone or smoke off!!
Given the popularity of the barbel bomb etc, its seems feasible that they do learn.
Use your feeders at night time only when the crafty buggers can’t see it 🤣

Back