• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The Holy Grail

A 10lb Cheshire Mere Tench from a proper ancient glacial mere, not a gravel or sand pit.

A 3lb Rudd caught on a waggler on the drop, I wouldn't know where to start for that one though.

And a 4lb UK Crucian. I've had them in Sweden at 4lb 3 & 4lb 15oz 5 drams. A UK 4lb'er would be amazing - caught on float.

Amazed that nobody has listed a 4oz gudgeon..

Much as I would love a 3lb Roach or a massive Barbel I'm drawn more and more towards migratory game fish these days, Sea Trout and Salmon. They keep me more than occupied from around now until October. I've been very lucky the last few years and I've had more than my fair share of 14 - 18lb fish. My next aim is a fresh 20+ pounder or even a 30. We can all dream.

For me a 3lb river roach (ideally on the float if we are being picky....). 30lb pike is up there, as is a double figure tench or 15lb barbel i think.

Having carp fished extensively over the last few years, i think a 40lb carp is probably easier than a number of the above, not that i have managed that myself (thought two at 39.04 ran it close) - just in terms of numbers of fish about - I would guess there are more 40lb carp in the country than 3lb roach, 10lb tench, 15lb barbel etc etc.

an out of the box one for me would be a permit on the fly...... one of the most infuriating fish I've ever fished for!

I thought I had cracked it earlier this year - a huge roach caught by accident on a tip rod whilst chubbing.
I was that busy avoiding a jack pike under my feet I thought it was a small chub and it was only when I folded back the net , did I realise what I had.
It went 2-9 and was in mint condition.
A 7lb chub is always up there for me. I re-watched Terry Lampard (RIP) catch a roach over 3 and a chub over 7 on Catching The Impossible the other day. Staggering. What an angler.

May 2020 will mark three years of continued commitment to the hobby since abandoning it as a kid.

I've been fortunate to have had some notable catches in this three year period so far, and am also very thankful of the time and investment of effort from some of the more seasoned anglers who've taken me under their wing during this course.

Personal goals of mine would be:
10lb+ Barbel (PB is currently 7lb 4oz)
20lb+ Pike (PB currently 15lb 8oz)
5lb+ Chub (PB currently 4lb 5oz)
3lb+ Perch (PB Currently 2lb on the dot)

I would be happy to catch any other species at any respectable weight, that said, I know that as soon as I do, then I may fall victim to becoming a 'weight chaser' - which I do not want.

I personally think the measure of an angler is what he may be able to fashion when the conditions are bad, or being able to locate and catch from the most unlikely or uncharted venues, and of course, it has to stay fun.

When I was a kid we used to stay at Stan Copperthwaite's B/B every summer. Stan was the Britford Bailiff for the LAA . Stan ran the now defunct Eel traps, the old building that still crosses the river and we would help him trap the eels when they ran the river at night. I saw two monster eels and was told they were both over the British record. I never saw them weighed but they were whoppers, the record was 8lb something at the time. Tom Williams who looked after the next section down joked about Stan's monster Eels on his documentary Toms River

When I was a kid we used to stay at Stan Copperthwaite's B/B every summer. Stan was the Britford Bailiff for the LAA . Stan ran the now defunct Eel traps, the old building that still crosses the river and we would help him trap the eels when they ran the river at night. I saw two monster eels and was told they were both over the British record. I never saw them weighed but they were whoppers, the record was 8lb something at the time. Tom Williams who looked after the next section down joked about Stan's monster Eels on his documentary Toms River

Toms River...now there is a blast from the past. Loved that program, just found it is on YouTube.

On the subject of eels, I recall seeing overland eel’s on a couple occasions during my childhood. Always at night, and during wet conditions. Haven’t even heard of that happening for over 25 years.

Im 53 now, ive fished since I was about 5 for many things, my largest fish which aren't necessarily my best fish are only relevant to me.

My holy grail - to keep on fishing in nice quiet places and carry doing so for as long as my body will let me, catching anything is just a bonus.

Take only photos and memories and leave nothing but bank stick holes.

But outside of dangling a danni and kylie brace would be a bit smokey :p

Back