• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The Gudgeon Society

Edward Adcock

Senior Member & Supporter
Found this image on their FB page. I haven't caught one in years.

91EF1DA6-812B-4E77-8453-C5FBE949D091.jpeg

First fish I ever caught, used catch dozens of them from River Darent in Dartford Park. A mate and I used to fish on a Saturday, keep them in my Mums bath overnight and then go Piking on Sunday, travel by bus, water slopping out of the bucket, got some funny looks from other passengers but heyho! Frightening to think that was fifty five years ago :eek:

Used to catch loads in yorkshire ouse, Millfield lagoons , river dearne , the calder to name a few often plagued by the colourful little blighters , now sadly vamoosed, along with the Tommy Ruffe .

I remember watching my step dad fish a few matches back in the day where a couple of those bad boys were the difference between 1st and last place. Pretty little fish.

I went in that fishing emporium in Evesham by the golf course a few years back. Not sure if it’s still there. Anyway they had a huge Taxidermy gudgeon in there. Can’t remember the weight of it now but was an absolute monster

Sorry about that techno luddite that i am , not got to grips yet with smartphone yet ,back to the Abacas [laptop], had a clonker in the Swale years ago and used to fish a pool in the Wiske, when visiting grandparents, great way to spend a Sunday afternoon trotting mostly maggots under a grayling float, my other gran used to drop me off in the hillman imp on the yorkshire ouse where i fished mainly worm and maggots with Newark needle weights for catches of Gudgeon ,eels and tommy ruffe with the odd silver fish once in a blue moon. Kind off miss those pristine speckled fish from yesteryear .

Used to catch loads in yorkshire ouse, Millfield lagoons , river dearne , the calder to name a few often plagued by the colourful little blighters , now sadly vamoosed, along with the Tommy Ruffe .

They are still common in many rivers out here. At Beaulieu-sur-Dordogne there is a footbridge over the river and you can see a massive shoal of them in the shallows. Last week whilst waiting for some carp not to arrive in my swim in the Vienne I got out a 6 foot whip I bought from the Poundshop in Barnsley (guess what it cost?) and landed two nice gobios as well as some small roach using small balls of cheese paste. But when we were kids I used to fish a small mill pool that is behind an old building near to where the Cawthorne Garden Centre was built. In those days the pool was neglected and the building derelict, but the pool was full of big fat gudgeon. There were hundreds of them. I see that now the derelict building is a posh new house and the pool has been renovated. I hope that the gudgeon are still there.

Loads of ruffe too locally including some specimens.

River Severn is full of Gonks, always had a soft spot for them but I wish they'd grow to a few pounds in weight. They would be even more amazing.

Just a few Chub to watch the tourists eating ice creams Clive , the weir on the dearne favoured by the canoeists still has Gudgeon alley on the shallow gravels below as far as i know.

I have had two this month. I am banned from having maggots around the place so am targeting them at the top of the garden with 4mm banded pellet and punched bread on a size 16. Using a 1oz quiver tip the twitches are enormous. The Windrush used to have bull head, ruffe, and stone loach. The gravel and flow are long gone and it is silty and grey now but that's another story.

Back