• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

the future of barbel angling?

Chris, my parrots thriving even if spending half its time in the cage,
getting copious lashing of my blood is probably giving it a high protein diet after it tries to lacerate me with its beak:eek::eek:
as for barbel cooped up in ponds and mud holes just to satisfy at a financial price others who feel the need to catch barbel but cannot stand the tasks of doing so on rivers well i think pathetic excuses for exploitation is a good description:cool:

'Fact' 6 made me smile - they are attracted to noise, they associate foot vibration with feeding!

What a world away from ours on rivers.

Thank god this is a balanced report with no self interest at all

......as fish farm manager and Sparsholt college lecturer Patrick Haughton, the man behind the research, explains.

“Twenty years ago Hampshire Carp Hatcheries of which I’m a co-owner, pioneered the commercial spawning of stillwater barbel. Over the following two decades tens of thousands of barbel were stocked into stillwaters across the length and breadth of England and every day thousands of anglers now enjoy catching them,” said Pat. “I wanted to do a study to put to bed the myth that the species don’t do well in stillwaters, so we recently carried out a survey of some of these fisheries that stock barbel to review the success of that stocking, and so far some very interesting facts have emerged.”

'Fact' 6 made me smile - they are attracted to noise, they associate foot vibration with feeding!

This fella is going to "bag up"

Bill_OneManBand.jpg
[/IMG]

Do you know many years ago there was an article in Angling Times on such a thing, I can remember it was a River scenario and the headlines was 'The Clumping Clogger' and how a certain match angler attracted fish in his swim by stamping.

Could be on to something here :cool:

a 'nice' still water barbel;) get some exercise :D:D:D

2009930114539_stillwater-barbel.jpg

I am not sure that spawning is an essential ingredient to the notion of 'Thriving'. Many a faithful 'man's best friend' or moggy has been deemed to have 'thrived' despite having dangly bits removed or being subjected to intrusive surgical procedures.

Some posters have suggested that these fish are dying in numbers during the summer months. We need evidence of this. When we have evidence, what? Warm blooded animals are slaughtered so I can enjoy the splendid beef stew I am eating right now. Some fish die so anglers can enjoy catching them. Not saying it is right, but it is what it is.

So the national record comes from a still water! Am I going to let that spoil a day spent hunting a Barbel on the Sussex Ouse.
'THE HELL I AM'
Name the movie quote, and no googling.
Shaun of the singles

I am not sure that spawning is an essential ingredient to the notion of 'Thriving'. Many a faithful 'man's best friend' or moggy has been deemed to have 'thrived' despite having dangly bits removed or being subjected to intrusive surgical procedures.

Some posters have suggested that these fish are dying in numbers during the summer months. We need evidence of this. When we have evidence, what? Warm blooded animals are slaughtered so I can enjoy the splendid beef stew I am eating right now. Some fish die so anglers can enjoy catching them. Not saying it is right, but it is what it is.

So the national record comes from a still water! Am I going to let that spoil a day spent hunting a Barbel on the Sussex Ouse.
'THE HELL I AM'
Shaun of the singles
Sussex ouse
you don't like things easy do you.:D

'THE HELL I AM'
Shaun of the singles
The Searchers....isn't it. And I'd rather search for my fish as well rather than have them placed before me.

Personally as long as stocking is legal and no fish are removed from the river I am entirely un interested in what people put in still water. The individual fish may well thrive as you say, just as my neutered cat thrives. But as a species, which is what I am concerned with, Barbel and Cats only thrive when they breed.

Trout live and grow really big in still water, but need access to running water to breed. There is a world of difference between fishing for stockie trout and wild trout as any angler knows. If people want to catch big stocked trout from fish farms that is down entirely to them and the same should go for Barbel. The record barbel for still waters doesn't interest me in the slightest, although to tell the truth the record for river fish only vaguely interests me. I would rather catch a few, on a nice river, that put up that great fight that only a wild fish can and that goes for trout as well as barbel.

As somebody else said earlier I don't really understand why people want to stock barbel in still waters any way, they could stock a few Tench which to me are the best and most challenging (these days, now that carp have become pets) of still water fish. Or perhaps even a few wonderful Roach, which seem as happy in still water as in a river. It's a mad as those stocking Salmon into still waters so a few people can catch them without having to take the time and trouble of actually going fishing. :)

By the way, Dave Mason is official keeper of the Barbel records and I can't see him including a still water fish as the biggest can you?

Hugo

are you a Lilliput or Blefuscu man? It could well be a Baream!

Back