• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

the future of barbel angling?

Stillwater barbel argument apart, just seeing all those fish crammed into that landing net makes me cringe.

The way thinks are going this is the future of our barbel fishing, you don't get Otters and Poachers taking barbel from these sorts of places.

The way thinks are going this is the future of our barbel fishing, you don't get Otters and Poachers taking barbel from these sorts of places.
It would be a sad day if fishing were ever to be confined to ponds. Irrespective of the rights and wrongs of stocking river fish in stillwaters, I,for one, am not interested in catching them in such places any more than I am interested in catching trout from trout farms. I would as soon take up golf:(

It would be a sad day if fishing were ever to be confined to ponds. Irrespective of the rights and wrongs of stocking river fish in stillwaters, I,for one, am not interested in catching them in such places any more than I am interested in catching trout from trout farms. I would as soon take up golf:(

Couldn't have put it better Pete.
If that day ever comes Nic i'll hang up my Rods. :(

Ian.

That Picture is probably another fresh stocking to replace fish that never made it through the summer.
I get the impression the AT love to promote this sort of thing, they like nothing more than a picture of an angler laying on his side with dozens of fish spead out in front of them :( it sells their comic

Words fail me on the photo, well they don't but I'm pretty sure the filter would block most of them. I can see why lakes want to stock barbel and the rights and wrongs of it will be debated long and hard but for me it is the enviroment in which I fish as much as the catching of the fish that matters. It would be interesting to see mortality rates at the mentioned lakes though I very much doubt they would be forthcoming with accurate data.

Sorry but you get both poachers and otters on these , they get everywhere !!!!

I took issue with the AT a few months back as they had a big piece about irresponsible commercial owners stock alien species then had a pic on opposite page of a guy posing with a sturgeon and saying how great it was , I emailed them and called them hypocrites and surprise surprise got no response .

I really hope this aint the future

Sorry but you get both poachers and otters on these , they get everywhere !!!!

I took issue with the AT a few months back as they had a big piece about irresponsible commercial owners stock alien species then had a pic on opposite page of a guy posing with a sturgeon and saying how great it was , I emailed them and called them hypocrites and surprise surprise got no response .

I really hope this aint the future

You may get Poachers on lakes but no where near as many as you do on rivers Robert, plus most if not all have they own bailiffs onsite to deal with them .

As for Otters it's easier to S... them :p

You may get Poachers on lakes but no where near as many as you do on rivers Robert, plus most if not all have they own bailiffs onsite to deal with them .

As for Otters it's easier to S... them :p
So you are suggesting that still water fisheries have bailiffs who stop illegal activity (poaching) but encourage illegal activity (shooting without a license).......strange sort of bailiffs, do they now decide which laws to enforce and which to break in order to make a profit?

Glad I stick to rivers and natural stillwaters.......

Coming Soon

Next week in the Angling Times get your hands on the latest commercial rod the Daiwa Barbel yank n bank in our competition.

Reviewed the Barb method feeder 10/10 only £4.99 with plastic mould.

Keepnets are fine 8 out 10 pond owners love them.

Crucifying barbs with the pole, our expert shows his 265lb haul.

Thriving in my book means breeding also. Havent seen any data to say this has happened.

You wont see any either.......

The simple fact is that if barbel 'thrived' in stillwaters then stillwaters would already hold them without stocking and they would be classed as being a stillwater species. The fact is, however, that they don't, they aint and they never have!

It's not the future of my barbel angling. However, I can't bring myself to get wound up over barbel in stillwaters, provided they haven't been nicked from the rivers.

It was carefully worded to thrive is to grow and flourish, the fact the populace will not thrive is not essential for those stocking them, they will get fat on the pellets boillies, it is certain that the owners business is thriving with the introduction of barbel it seems to have had a lot of coverage this season.

The fish stocked I fear will not be treated and handled in the respect that they deserve, we live in a society that now looks for "instant success" rather than working hard and this reflects angling today.

The commercials have their place, sadly in the very nature of the name I prefer to call them “KER-CHINGS”

Anyone have an opinion on the next barbel record been a Stillwater barbel?

In the AT piece they went on to say how them not spawning is good for the fish as they stay in good condition because they arent battering each other up during the act as it were. What sort of screwed up logic is that?

Back