• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The enchanted killer

You upset a lot of folk and fixed-point-in-time vested interests if you insist on telling the truth, Craig. Their problem, not mine.

quality..;)..keep the good work up..although i might not agree with your comments from time to time..i always find them interesting and sometimes absulutely hilarious..:D:D:D...

Agree with Crooky about the body profile

Mink .............

Has everyone become paranoid:confused::confused:

Don't worry about the otters ............. what about anglers ???? .... they do FAR more damage than a whole gaggle of otters (is that the correct term for a number of otters?????????? ...... or should it be a murder as in crows?????)

I am more worried about the re-introduction of Beavers to the upper Thames and Kennet:eek:

Last edited:
As I said somewhere here several days ago (and not for the first time, and not just on this site), I am really worried about the possibilities offered by beavers...

I fear that the beaver has more to worry about as the extract from Wikipedia enlightens us .....

Yupik (Eskimo) medicine used dried beaver testicles like willow bark to relieve pain ........ one mans pain is another beavers real pain:D

Although beavers are herbivors I fear that they would willingly kill any barbel they came across just to get back at "man the hunter"

Last edited:
What is more, they are literate (certainly far outstripping many British anglers in this department) and are probably reading this (and any future Dangling Crimes, let's whip the punters up, Stop The Otter Rot - sorry - Beat The Beaver Menace campaign), and already making plans. Worrying.

Last edited:
:p:p:p:p:p;);););):):):):)

We are not paranoid ............

Must admit that after spending a night a barbelling next to a field of sweetcorn and remembering the very good film starring Mel Gibson "SIGNS" ........ perhaps it is aliens that are depleting the barbel stocks and not otters and beavers at all:eek::eek: ...... now there is a thought!

Seems simple to me,just as everyone up here in The Derbyshire Dales ignored the ridiculous Liebour ban on hunting with hounds to keep the fox population under control you just start breeding otter hounds again and get a few mates to have a walk down the affected rivers every week,simples.
You do have to be a bit careful though in case they start a resistance movement.
Fox_hunting.jpg

Last edited:
The Fox Household later today:

"Lovely fat conies, Charlie. Better than that ruddy huntsman you had last week which even the crows and magpies left...".

Interesting comment in tony blairs new autobiography..he regrets banning hunting...:)..that said even if otter hunting was brought back now it would be too late for many rivers because the damage has already been done..best thing anyone can do is just make the best of whats left.:rolleyes:

We messed the rivers with all our roads, development, post-War at-war-with-nature Agribusiness style of farming, our lifestyles and our sheer numbers, Craig (I knew both your local Avon and Stour from the early 1960s to late 1970s, fished them a lot, superlative rivers in their different ways), not a comparatively few, newly appeared otters. Until some people can understand this and get over their desire for scapegoating, blaming, retribution and elimination, our rivers will only get worse.

Last edited:
I know your 100% correct paul..and yes i guess the otter has been scape goated to a certain degree..I think the otter has probably highlighted how bad some rivers overall eco systems are..I watched two otters last week on the stour hunting in broad day light and yes it was a nice sight to see but im at a loss as to what benefit they are having on that particular river..I think in the long term the otters will be in danger again due to the terrible state of some of our rivers..hey paul heres a thought perhaps the otters will kill the beavers due to depleted fish stocks and most of the waterfowl gone..:D:D

I must admit I never realised that otters just loved to eat wildfowl till seeing one desimate a group of ducklings the other night.

Graham

Every living thing -

With fur - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/7976539/Fox-attack-leaves-1-in-5-afraid-of-wildlife.html

or fins (read a few of the news / self-promoting no-troof links) - http://www.midcurrent.com/news/2010/08/this-just-in-from-montana---ny.html

- is out to get us.

What a sad bunch of media-hoovering and -believing scaredy cats we 21st Century editions of Homo sapiens have become.

We really are a pathetic bunch.

Here's a statistic, 1 in 5 people are idiots!

Actually, its probably a lot more than that:(

Back