• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The EA seeks your views for river basin management plan

Adam King

Hi guys,

This my first post on this site.

I lifted the following from another website:

The Environment Agency (EA) Challenges and Choices consultation is an important step leading up to the creation of updated river basin management plans to protect and improve the water environment.

The EA would like to hear your views on what you think are the most significant challenges for each river basin district or England, and how these issues should be tackled.

The consultation shares the evidence and information on our water environment, at national and local scales.

Alongside each river basin district consultation, there is a strategic environmental assessment scoping document that the EA would also like your views on.

This is quite a complex consultation, however if you would just like to respond to the questions relating directly with your own river catchment, then it is perfectly acceptable to just complete questions 4 & 5.

LINK:
https://consult.environment-agency.gov.uk/portal/ho/wfd/water/choices

If everybody could spare 15 or 20 minutes to put their thoughts down, hopefully the Environment Agency may listen.

Please respond before 22nd December 2013.

what an over complicated, long winded pile of poop that was.....

I bet someone was paid a fortune, funded no doubt from mine and others licence fee to compile that....and they wonder why so few can be bothered to fill them out....

what an over complicated, long winded pile of poop that was.....

I bet someone was paid a fortune, funded no doubt from mine and others licence fee to compile that....and they wonder why so few can be bothered to fill them out....

I read the original post and was glad the second exactly reflected my conclusion. Typical EA waffle!

Yep, that is not the sort of lingo that is going to encourage a response from most,..makes you wonder if the EA is chocker with failed solicitors.
Luckily some do take the trouble to respond http://www.avondiary.net/
Scroll down to Dec. 7th

Last edited:
Sadly this research isn't specific enough for my liking. Grouping the rivers and therefore the data make any analysis pretty pointless. I have a particular interest in the Humber region and have to contend with all the generalisations being made about the Swale, Nidd, Ure and Upper Ouse as a whole. I suppose it's one way for the EA to avoid a deluge of responses.

Kill all the otters, kill all the mink, ban canoes in shallow water and wipe out comorants, that should help rebalance the situation:mad:

they make nice warm fur hats,
But when theres only one odd one out there it aint gonna do too much devastation to fish stock in the uk,
last time i saw one in the wild was on a bitterly cold night in the Thames estuary
i woke pete up and said pete lets move the boat
his drowsy reply in choice words was that we,ll do it in the morning, no cod just a few whiting:rolleyes:

Its because its a document that contributes to the Water Framework Directive, not something directly tied to angling, hence why it might seem long winded and complicated. A quick google of the WFD and its aims will prove that, that too is a long winded pointless document.

Well done Adam for posting this.

The late, great Dick Walker once wrote something along the lines that most anglers prefer to spend hours talking about a theory than one minute testing it. If he was around today I suspect he might similar comments about anglers apathy in regard to standing up for conservation of our waterways.

I've come to the conclusion that the majority of anglers would rather spend a lifetime moaning about the state of the nations rivers, than a single hour properly arguing the case for some of the improvements that are required. Consultations such as these allow anglers or angling associations to give their views, if too few anglers bother to reply then Defra and the EA can be forgiven for thinking that anglers (on the whole) don't really give a toss, instead they'll give more weight to the views big agri-business, developers and the water companies.

To those who have poo-pooed this consultation, yes consultations like this are complex, the Water Framework Directive is a highly complex area and the EA/Defra have to take account of a broadrange of issues. The bottom line is whether you like it or not, the implementation of the WFD will, over the forthcoming years, have a major influence on the condition of your local river catchment. If you choose not to give your two penneth and are not prepared to spend time arguing the case for the policies you would like to see implemented, then don't sit around moaning about the state of our rivers in the future.

As Adam points out, your not required to complete the whole consultation, a couple of sections will suffice.

Whilst I broadly agree with you Joe,..I can understand the apathy from some of the angling community. As I mentioned in the 'Angling Trust meeting' thread, some of us have spent what seems like a lifetime arguing our case through local consultatives and river trusts, and despite the best efforts of a dedicated few and mountains of paperwork my local river Wey is in a poorer state of health now than 20 years ago.
Regardless of how valid a point one makes to the EA, it often results in the usual patronising reply and 'we know best' response. Consultation is often a one way street with the agency.
At last months A.Trust meeting I spoke to an old friend who had worked for the NRA & EA in a senior capacity and has now moved on,..he remarked on his relief that he is no longer bound and hamstrung by the political shackles that went with the territory.
As I said though,..I agree that we must state our case.

Last edited:
Back