• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The compleat Angler

Hi Joe,

Thanks for that, but I can't get Freeview in my area, which is a shame, because I would have enjoyed watching that. I get Freesat....but for reasons known only to themselves, they have different programming :rolleyes: I will check it out to see if my lot have it as well....but I doubt it.

Hey ho, such is life.

Cheers, Dave.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for that, but I can't get Freeview in my area, which is a shame, because I would have enjoyed watching that. I get Freesat....but for reasons known only to themselves, they have different programming :rolleyes: I will check it out to see if my lot have it as well....but I doubt it.

Hey ho, such is life.

Cheers, Dave.

Seems strange Dave you cant get freeview in your area ? Have you ever made enquires as to why ?

Seems strange Dave you cant get freeview in your area ? Have you ever made enquires as to why ?

As Dave Hall said Joe. The valley I live in is a bit weird, they have had a booster mast for donkeys years to get anything at all in certain parts of it, and they point blank refuse to upgrade/update it to get Freeview....it doesn't even get channel 5 :eek:

Hence the satellite dish, and Freesat. Unfortunately, Freesat didn't grow anywhere near as fast as was predicted, so it is the poor relative as far as quantity of channels goes....but a bit better on picture quality. Which means I can watch East enders in stunning detail :mad::eek::(

The weirdness of our little valley doesn't end there though. It's shape and orientation means it is also an officially recognised frost trap, joked about by weather forcasters because despite being in the South East, it frequently records the lowest winter temperatures in the UK :rolleyes:

You cant win 'em all :D

Cheers, Dave.

Quite amusing to watch if you've nothing better to do... but they give you bad advice - or at least incomplete :(

The Programme where Geoffrey Palmer, and Rae Borras are learning to catch Eels, shows their Guide showing them how to calm an Eel down on the bank.

So when last season i caught a whopper, i remembered the guys advice, and laid the wriggling Eel on the grass, and covered its head with my hand, whilst stroking it along its length with the other ..... Hah !! will you look at that i thought dead as a Do Do - it works !! :D

So i used my forefinger to prise its mouth open, and it was at this point i found out what the missing bit of advice was ..... That though it's in this comotose state, there is absolutly nothing wrong with its bite reflex :eek:

I can tell you now it's like having your finger squeezed by a pair of pliers !

Those of you that think you have problems with crays nicking your baits, it could well be Eels, i reckon they'd crush a 5 year old air dried boilie no problem.

Ian.

As Dave Hall said Joe. The valley I live in is a bit weird, they have had a booster mast for donkeys years to get anything at all in certain parts of it, and they point blank refuse to upgrade/update it to get Freeview....it doesn't even get channel 5 :eek:

Hence the satellite dish, and Freesat. Unfortunately, Freesat didn't grow anywhere near as fast as was predicted, so it is the poor relative as far as quantity of channels goes....but a bit better on picture quality. Which means I can watch East enders in stunning detail :mad::eek::(

The weirdness of our little valley doesn't end there though. It's shape and orientation means it is also an officially recognised frost trap, joked about by weather forcasters because despite being in the South East, it frequently records the lowest winter temperatures in the UK :rolleyes:

Cheers, Dave.

For what its worth Dave apart from a hand full of channels on freeview you aint missing out on a lot . Most of the channels are rubbish :rolleyes:

Cheers, Dave.

-23 this year dave wasn't it one night...brrrrrr..:eek:

-23 this year dave wasn't it one night...brrrrrr..:eek:

That's the one Dave :D

Rickmansworth is fairly bad as well, but not a patch on Chesham. Guy I used to work with came from Mill End, and he reckons he could watch the external temperature gauge on his car dropping as he drove down through Chenies into the valley every day on his way to work in the winter :eek:

I might try marketing igloos here if the predictions from the 'experts' which claim that the UK will actually get colder as a result of general global warming prove to be true :D

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
Back