• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The Close Season

I enjoy the close season, without it I'd be torn between fishing a river and fishing for tench, if I get the urge to fish on moving water during the three months I just get the fly rod out and have a wander.

its 100 years out of date and needs to be changed.

Hi men,

I always use the canal as an example , because in places it flows like a slow river . The close season was removed so long ago the kids that are fishing the lakes and canals now have never seen them shut . The canal did not suffer as far as we can tell , bird life is abundant , fish are there , it's quiet , and other than otters and EU taking fish , is alive and well . It should be removed .

Hatter

Do they still 'Trout' fish on the Bristol Avon,Chippenham free stretch with lobworm over a gallon of hemp like they used to do?(used to drive my mate who lived there livid).Sadly it looks like you can fish in the midlands/trent doing exactly the same this close season,according to the bylaws.

Do they still 'Trout' fish on the Bristol Avon,Chippenham free stretch with lobworm over a gallon of hemp like they used to do?(used to drive my mate who lived there livid).Sadly it looks like you can fish in the midlands/trent doing exactly the same this close season,according to the bylaws.[/QUOTE]

If that's brown trout its only allowed from 18th of march as that's when the closed season ends :confused: I suppose if one was so inclined the closed season could be completely ignored, just goes to show what a jumbled mess it is.

Game fishing during the coarse fishing close season according to the rules on the official website. Midlands,Yorkshire,North east and North west regions You can only use natural or artificial Fly,Minnow,WORM,Shrimp,Prawn,Sandeel or artificial lures. So yes you can Barbel fish in the close season legally on the Trent,this does not mention prebaiting with Boilies,particle or maggot its just what goes on the hook that counts.Sounds like exactly what went on down on the Bristol avon .So if you are pulled and have a worm on the hook there is nothing they can do about it.Utter madness,its still down to old rules on the regions before the EA came about not being changed.i even think you can still use two hooks/baits in one region

yes you can fish worm for trout on most stretches which says alot about the close season doesn`t it, got nice lot of worms ready haha.

who can stop you putting in a gallon of hemp the day before you go then fish a worm over the top the next day.
And i have no intension of doing so but can be done, also i know someone who owns land on a river who says he does not recognise the close season and people can fish when they like:D.
Andy

Hi men,

So, me and sue out with all three grandkids yesterday afternoon . Fantastic warm weather , down to a local park where the river Lea runs through . The kids like paddling in the shallows below a weir , and as they did a couple were having a picnic , drinking beer , catching chub with an all round beach caster / spoding rod . Silly old me sticking to the rules eg ?.

We have in the past told someone to treat the fish with more respect as he launch a chub over his shoulder back into the water , much abuse came my way , again out of "our" close season .

Hatter

Hi men,

So, me and sue out with all three grandkids yesterday afternoon . Fantastic warm weather , down to a local park where the river Lea runs through . The kids like paddling in the shallows below a weir , and as they did a couple were having a picnic , drinking beer , catching chub with an all round beach caster / spoding rod . Silly old me sticking to the rules eg ?.

We have in the past told someone to treat the fish with more respect as he launch a chub over his shoulder back into the water , much abuse came my way , again out of "our" close season .

Hatter

Did you report it Mark? although if the information I received from the EA about how many reports they attend is anything to go by I wouldn't blame you if you didn't mostly a total waste of time with very few attended.

Hi men,

Graham , never bothered after the shambles last year where I reported a camp on the canal that resembled Calais with long term stays from a group of EU . Local boater told me the BBQ was used with fish they caught , and certainly never had a license . I checked back next day and nothing had been done so phoned back with my reference , they gave me the number of a local official . I phoned him , and he was sailing on the Norfolk Boards half way across the country . They moved on after 5 days :rolleyes:. It's alright dropping in of commercial waters where lots are fishing , but that's not where the problem takes place. On my local ressy there are anglers that lure fish moving around as the bailiff has regular times , clever stuff . It incensed me one day when I wanted to fish a swim and they were in it , I asked if they had payed and they smirked . They were less happy when they got back to their cars , as I had put joke ( but realistic) parking tickets on the screens with a note saying fine would be in the post . Apparently they went ballistic , but as they were not in the official carpark , it slowed their fishing visits down I hear ;)

Hard one really , you should report , and now I would report to the police if I thought they were taking fish , but as for fishing out of season or without a license I'm not sure there are enough bailiffs, or they could get there quick enough .

Hatter

Hi men,

Graham , never bothered after the shambles last year where I reported a camp on the canal that resembled Calais with long term stays from a group of EU . Local boater told me the BBQ was used with fish they caught , and certainly never had a license . I checked back next day and nothing had been done so phoned back with my reference , they gave me the number of a local official . I phoned him , and he was sailing on the Norfolk Boards half way across the country . They moved on after 5 days :rolleyes:. It's alright dropping in of commercial waters where lots are fishing , but that's not where the problem takes place. On my local ressy there are anglers that lure fish moving around as the bailiff has regular times , clever stuff . It incensed me one day when I wanted to fish a swim and they were in it , I asked if they had payed and they smirked . They were less happy when they got back to their cars , as I had put joke ( but realistic) parking tickets on the screens with a note saying fine would be in the post . Apparently they went ballistic , but as they were not in the official carpark , it slowed their fishing visits down I hear ;)

Hard one really , you should report , and now I would report to the police if I thought they were taking fish , but as for fishing out of season or without a license I'm not sure there are enough bailiffs, or they could get there quick enough .

Hatter

I would have loved to see their faces :D

Operation clampdown will sort them out!

http://www.anglingtrust.net/news.asp?section=29&from=2017/01/01&to=2018/01/01&itemid=3673

324 voluntary bailiffs for the whole country doesn't sound enough, no one is going to do it on their own so you can halve that number.

Just spotted a flaw in their plan:
"During Operation CLAMPDOWN 5, the volunteers will be reporting any suspicious activity to the Environment Agency – and police if illegal fishing on private waters is spotted."

Maybe a petition would get some serious discussion going, esp if it attracted 100,000 signatures ??

Hi men ,

Graham , i wish i was there too , they ripped them off , and threw them on the floor wheel spinning their car away :D . They must have stopped and had a think because they returned and picked the "ticket" up . I only know this because i was not sure what they were driving , so some birdwatchers got caught in the crossfire as i did all 3 that were parked up :eek: , and they told me the story a week later :D . Best £1 iv spent for years.

All seriousness though I doubt there are enough bailiffs anyway ,and they concentrate on fisheries where they may well catch people , rather than trudge around on the off chance .

Hatter

Back