• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The breakaway lead thread debate.

Well it's official in the anglers mags. Richard Easom says that they are perfectly safe. A man of such vast knowledge not only in the bait world but barbel community cannot be ignored.

I think that I might just do that :)

Anyone that has used these for Barbel fishing isn't going to own up to (not saying there has been any) any damage caused are they? better safe than sorry they are simply not needed.

each to his own, i have used breakaway leads for sea fishing fo decades and even FIXED wired leads with long wires but never ever suffered damage to a fish with them,
i also tried them out for babel fishing on the thames in certain areas and found no problem but, but, but preferred using leads utilised casting upstream and allowing a big bow between rodtop and lead whi ch worked ok except when rubbish swept down onto the mainline and set the lead moving once again.
as for making bans ,HELL i can remember angling clubs banning hemp because some uninformed anglers thought it could drug fish.
its funny how issues like this always rears it head just before the countrys elections. realistically how many guys on here have seen anglers using wired leads (apart from some europeans without fishing licenses or permits)
be iteresting if someone had the ability to put a chart up on the boards

Back