• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

That's Minging!!!

Back in the summer I had a bucket of hemp and Belahan boilies soaking in liquid I had only used half but some how I forgot about it and left it tucked away in the back of the shed.
A couple of weeks ago I was in the shed looking for some paint when I discovered the bucket when I picked it up I was slightly worried by the weight so I took it out of the shed and opened the lid as I did my little boy retched and ran inside calling his mum this was not what I needed, she came running out to see what was going on and nearly through up!
The contents had a foul sweet fishy **** soup kind of smell to it!
By this time she really was not happy and instructed me to chuck the whole lot it in the bin, I protested saying that I needed the bucked, so in the end I had to bury the contents at the bottom of the garden.

Maggots escaping from the tub in the fridge also annoyed her some what.

I am now a lot more careful!:D

haha I bet Kate loved that one Tom, I think Harry definitely deserves at least 20 mins on the naughty step for snitching on you though :D

while living with my parents many years ago i left 2 pints of pinkies along with all my gear at the bottom of the stairs in the hall ready for an early morning start.... came down the stairs in the morning and almost every single one of them pinkies had escaped:D They loved that deep pile carpet, god knows what happened to them, only hoovered up about half a pint:eek:

Opened a bucket recently that was half full of mouldy stinking spod mix, think the tuna in it was the worst... Never smelt anything like it... Bucket went in a bag and in the bin quick as a flash!!

Many, many years ago me and my old man caught 17 rainbows from Eversley Cross trout fishery.
Unfortunately only 16 of them made it out of the car and into the freezer.
It was a couple of weeks before the missing fish was discovered wedged down the side of the boot and was only found because my mother refused to use the car until we got rid of the fishy smell as her friends were starting to refuse lifts from her.

Also, was lodging F.O.C with the in-laws and decided to fry up some luncheon meat in some of Archie Braddock's spicey powdered additives as I'd read somewhere it was the method for spicing up your meat (haven't bothered again since!).
Didn't go down at all well with the mother-in-law who complained so much about the smell everytime she switched on the extractor fan after my little fry up that I was forced to buy a new charcoal and grease filter for it.
She didn't appreciate the comment that I actually prefered it to the usual smell produced when she cooked for us.

There does appear to be a common theme here and that's us upsetting our wives/ partners with the stench that we have created.

The stench plus, possibly, the dead badger ("But it'll provide fantastic material for tying sea-trout flies...") a certain lady once found in a freezer...

Used to have a freezer for my bait and some househodl items a few years ago. It packed up so I disconnected and forgot to take out a few bags of veg and the thing had stood in the garage for a few weeks. I nearly vomited when I cracked the lid. Tied it down tightly and took it to the local tip. As I was driving away I saw two pikey's lifting the freezer on to the back of their flat back transit. The lid swung open deluging one of the said gents in a couple of pints of previously describe liquid from head to toe. All I heard him shout was "WTF !!!!!!!!!" How I managed to drive home without crashing is a mystery as I nearly had a seizure from laughing so hard.

just like Dave i forgot a polybag with some mackerel in it in the car boot one summer, now working in the industrial meat trade i was used to weird pongs from the boot, when i eventually had to use the car socially i cleaned the boot out, a polybag with the most evil smelling mush in it, 12 months later the car still had that stink in it and like Dave i had to dispose of it,
since then when fishing i use a small groundsheet in the boot and it comes out after every fishing trip....j.w

I have a half full bait bucket in the garden I am affraid to take the lid off, it's been there since my first stroke and thats two years ago now. (I think it contains hemp)

Many years ago I was going up to Lomond in a Triumph Spitfire. On the way there, on some remote Scottish Road, the car dropped a valve into a cylinder, stopping the engine dead. I managed to get a lift back to Glasgow, with my tackle, the next day, and caught the Train back to Manchester. It was 10 days before I was able to get back to the car, which I had abandoned outside a village police station. Unfortunately I had forgotten to remove the dozen mackerel that were by then dripping off the rear "seat" of the car. I will describe the incident no more, save to say that when the car was repaired, the garage also searched extensively for a squeak. They finally found a mouse's nest in the dashboard.

Another time, and a more sensible car: a Mk II Cortina. We were off on a week's fishing, and the car was parked in the shade with a huge open vat of maggots in the boot. Every couple of days we would return for another gallon or so. It rained very heavily part way through the week. Which would not have been a problem save for a boot seal problem, which caused water to leak into the boot....and directly into the maggots. Now we all know what happens when maggots get wet. As I approached the dark blue car, I wondered what all the little white spots were....especially as they seemed to be moving. Maggots: everywhere inside and out of the car. About 5 gallons of them. They had even got inside the speedo and were racing around it. Of course a few weeks later there were the flies. I had to drive with windows open, and mouth shut, but at traffic lights dozens often flew out. Pedestrians were horrified. The girlfriend refused ever to go in the car again.

Last edited:
Back