• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

That's Minging!!!

T

Trevor Davies

Just been sorting out my tackle shed for my first barbel session this weekend when i came across a bait bucket with a lid on that felt like it had something in it.

I opened it expecting to find some feeders/ leads but what actually greeted me was a bucket full of mould and the foulest smell that has ever crossed my nose!!!

It seems i left some wet unused groundbait/ pellet in the bucket that had gone off and flies had laid eggs in it as there were dead maggots there too just to add to the already foul concoction!

The only way i could clean it was to use some Cillit Bang (and the grime is gone!) and soak it in hot water. Did cross my mind just to bin it but i really need it for this weekend.

Anyone else had any similar experiences to this that they want to share?

Trevor

Anyone else had any similar experiences to this that they want to share?

Too many, too many:D

I didn`t use the car for a couple of weeks recently. On opening the door I got this horrendous blast of mouldy fish. It was a stomach churner of the highest order!

Being the boot door was frozen solid I just ignored it for a few days until it went away. Turns out to be exactly what you described, a bait tub containing long forgotten pellets.....

In years gone by I`d bought a few pints of maggots for an end of season bash. Unfortunately I forgot about them until a week before the Opening, three months later:eek: The bucket was full of dead maggots, sludge, small pupae, casters, dead flies and, would you believe, live flies. It truly was the Stalag of the bluebottle world

"That's Minging !!!" - Conrad said the same thing about my cheese paste the other week....it was made with some Stilton cheese that had been "maturing" in my garage for over 3 years.

regards
Richard

The Chairman on Thursday

And to think that most of us expect the ladies to find us attractive...

As ever,

B.B.

I was living in Barnsley and had been fishing this one day, before i had to get a train ride to plymouth. I had around 4 pints left, as i was going to throw them in the Local pond. My then girlfriend said she would take me to the station, i was in a rush and threw my carrier bag of maggots in the boot of her car when i got home , so i wouldnt forget. I caught the train and left 4 pints of maggots in the back of her car, untied.
You can guess what greeted her the following morning and for the next 2 months. It did make me laugh though. Obviously not with her no more.

I think the mistake you have made is throwing it away.
With the water coloured as it is I'd have been squeezing it into a feeder.. :eek::eek::p

Jon, I had a load of maggots escape into a car back in the 90s. Cleaned and hoovered loads up and thought nothing of it `til a few weeks later when the Battle of Britain was taking place in the rear windscreen. Didn`t matter how many times I opened the boot at work it`d be just as bad half hour later.

I often wonder what folks stuck in the traffic behind me must have thought that day!

Gary

If i want rancid groundbait i can always use what my daugter deposits in her nappy, although it might be more like cloud groundbait!

Trevor

I tipped over a coolbox full of freshly caught mackerel in the back of my car once. All that slime festered in the sun and I sold a heavily purfumed car soon after:D

But the worst of the worse is dead worms. I had a bucket wormery that went bad, I opened the plastic lid and immediately knew it was time to shut it and bin it. I went inside and - bearing in mind I'd only touched the outside of a plastic lid - stuck my finger under the Boss's nose. She ran to the loo and threw up! Boy was I in the dig house for that one :rolleyes:

Dave,
I'm surprised she could tell the difference between that and your regular brand of aftershave.....:D

I have a bucket of something in my bait fridge in the garage. Not too sure what it is as the two inches of furry mould is covering said stuff..Its probably hemp mixed with pellets and crushed lamprey boilies, with added lamprey sauce:p:eek:

Tommo

I've forgotten about a bucket of hemp and groundbait many a time,but the worst one ever was years ago,when i was a carp mad teenager.I used to keep my gear in my bedroom then,as the shed was being broken into regularly,no bait,just my rods,rucksack etc.So one day i got home from a week session at the end of the school holidays,i wasn't fishing for a while so i just lobbed my kit in the corner and left it.....what i'd forgotten was i'd left a tupperware box half full of bacon in my rucksack....over a few weeks it rotted until it became a thick liquid,there was no smell as the tub was airtight,until the pressure built up and the lid popped off,at which point the whole lot soaked through my rucksack and into the carpet.Words can't describe the smell,fairly similar to a rotting corpse i'd imagine,needless to say my old dear went absolutely ape****!:D

Many years ago, possibly 1981ish, a mate (god bless his soul) and I went to Ireland for a weeks fishing and was advised to take maggot with us as in those days obtaining them over there and in any quanties was very difficult.

So we bought several gallons before we set off and our friendly tackle shop manager said the best way to transport them was in pillow cases or sacks. No problem we thought and did as he advised.

The crossing from Liverpool was a long night crawl over and when we went down to the car deck as we approached Dublin in the morning the smell was detectable before we got to the car.

Once we opened the car the true horror of what happened became apparent as more than one sack had not been secured properly and there thousands of maggots crawling all over the car and the heat had been that bad they had all sweated badly, so much so that there were even maggots crawling up the windows with the condensation :eek:

On the way out of the port we were stopped by security who asked where we were going and what we were doing over there. We explained things to him and he requested to search our car.......boy did he get a surprise when he poked his head in :D Needless to say it wasn't a very thorough search and he bid us farewell.

Unfortunately for my mate but luckily for me we were in his car and there flies appearing from know where for weeks. It was a nightmare at the time but we laughed about it many times after.

:D

Have had that but on a smaller scale Daniel.

Bought a pint of mags a couple of years ago and as the fridge was out of bounds they had to go at the bottom of the garden.

Later on we had a massive storm that must have knocked the box over. Lid came off, mags escaped crawled up the garden and tried getting into the house. Up the doors and the windows. Needless to say we had a late night cleaning up making sure every last one had gone.:D

Before i had a maggot/beer fridge i left my maggots on top of kitchen cupboard (we lived in a flat then) as i was not allowed use of the fridge. Doing a fry up, i opened the cupboard an two pints of maggots fell onto hob with crispy bacon,sausages , toms etc, needless to say we had takeaway and she bought me a maggot fridge lol!!

A couple of years ago, I had arranged to go on a boat trip out of Wales, the night before I had all my gear nicely laid out in the cellar for a 4am start,and had laid my flirtation suit out on the floor, folded up.
3.30am, I was down there putting the flask and sarnies in my box, smelt a pong, when I glanced at the flirtation suit, the cat had left a good deposit on it.

Dave.

A few years back I decided on a spot of deadbait wobbling on the last day of the season. Travelling light, I carried a few packs of smelts in the inside pocket of my barbour jacket. End of session, chucked everything in the garage and hung the coat up on the back of the door, other coats were piled on top and the barbour was forgotten about. Strange smell built up over days and weeks until 'she who must be obeyed' could tolerate it no more. The smell wasn't nice, neither was the feeling of putting your hand into the inside pocket of the jacket to feel a puddle of putrified smelt. I wanted to keep the jacket but was forced to burn it in the back garden.

Steve

Once tipped some feeder casters into bin at home. Few days later Dad lifted bin lid and was hit in face with hundreds of tiny flies. I denied it though...:eek:

I forwarded this thread to an old girlfriend earlier - her reply just now:

"I still think the world of you, Paul, but twenty years (nearly thirty!) and a continent and an ocean separating us is still not enough. I have told my children about the things you used to keep in our freezer!"

So, no chance of a late reconciliation then...?

Back