• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

That's a big Otter!

Well to the best of my knowledge the seal is still incumbent - so that's 2 weeks in the stretch -400-500lb fish gone? More?
We have literally been sold up the river by the authorities - the Angling Trust are as much use as a chocolate fireguard - typical politicians and utterly ineffective. As suspected the BDMLR have no concern whatsoever for the fishery/ecosystem so long as the seal isn't been threatened or hassled.
I sought advice( too late) from one of the most respected and well known Anglers in the UK and below is his response which says it all . I think it also brings home that we have to get behind any organization that is at least going to try and really represent & protect the rights of anglers and their fisheries.

"You've got no hope with the Angling Trust as they are completely toothless and pathetic - to be honest by legal means your fishery will be destroyed as nothing will get done quickly enough.

I suggest a massive media campaign to your local MP, councillors, Angling Times, Anglers Mail and anyone else who could raise not just the environmental issues but also the social-economic disaster that this will have on the surrounding area, ie no kids fishing, no tourists to area to fish and spend their money on food, accommodation etc. "

On the second point, surely this is exactly what the Angling Trust should be doing on our part?
When we caught some poachers a year ago and managed to get a prosecution, they were happy to send representatives to bask in the glory and be interviewed by the BBC. This time , a real emergency

Whilst fishing with him in Thailand last year, I thought John Wilson was a little OTT, when he stated time and time again that as we are, river fishing in the UK is doomed. I couldn't relate to what had happened to his fisheries -I'm alright Jack, not in my backyard, and all that. Only now do I get what he was talking about and what he must have gone through seeing his life's work destroyed by predation in no time at all.
Any developments at Topcliffe?

No one interested,that is a surprise.Wonder how long it would have incumbent on the Royal stretch at Scone Palace on The Tay.

I`m really sorry to hear nothing positive has happened. I see from the gauge at Crakehill that the level must be close to being back to normal now, but I suppose that means the weir at Crakehill will not be so easy to cross even going downstream. It must mean it can`t move further up though. I fished the Topcliffe weirpool pretty often some years ago & it`s awful to think of the effects of such a predator in there. Did the EA make any move at all?

I have no idea re the EA Julian although someone did text me yesterday and said they were now involved re removal but the BDMLR seem to hold the cards.

Back