• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Thames 50

Peter - sad news, though you might have better written that it's unclear how it died. Blaming an otter for the death of a fish is like blaming a lion for the death of a gazelle.

I'll get my coat! :)

Peter - sad news, though you might have better written that it's unclear how it died. Blaming an otter for the death of a fish is like blaming a lion for the death of a gazelle.

I'll get my coat! :)

Agree Richard.

No evidence whatsoever of otters.

A fish that size must surely be at the tail end of it's life anyway.

Throw in spawning, water temps, captures, pollution?

Quite so Richard and Luke - a river 50 is an exceptional and extreme rarity in the UK, and it must have been VERY old to get to that size in a river. Most likely to have been "natural causes".

and quite possible the other fish that have been found on the stretch of river got killed by stampeding gazelles being chased by a starving pride of lions.

Hi men ,

Peter , it was clear from your first post , of that's how read it anyway . I do know that otters are very active in that area , and a fair way up and downstream .

Hatter

Apologies, Peter, I meant no offence. You're mention of otters just seems superfluous..........and your post doesn't say it's unclear how it died - perhaps it's not me who needs to reread. :rolleyes:
Windsor safari park can't be too far away.
Anyway, following Hatter's post I won't labour the point.

Richard post says: thames record carp found dead UNCLEAR at present whether otters are to blame. sorry but cant put it any clearer.

Because anyone who is interested in the area of the thames in question knows there is predation problems in that area and that it is unclear whether it fell victim to an otter or not. looking at the body it looks as if it has been dead a while but the skin has been stripped and the tail "tagged".this could be a result of foxes or something trying to drag it up the bank ,or it could be a result of an otter attack. Sorry I did not know each entry had to be so precise and detailed i thought that the word unclear was explanation enough. I just thought anglers would be interested in the demise of such a special fish. That's all i've got to say work it out for yourselves.

After Nick caught it !!
it was then caught at least twice possibly 3 times by people that dont need their egos massaged ! or earn their living catching and writing about fish ...........................and at this time of the year maybe the stress of it all was too much when a big old fish (carp) gets caught many times in a short space of time often it dies this happens far too often to be a coincidence ? I have known Nick for many years and he is a great angler and knows how to look after fish and its how he earns his living
and all the green eyed know nothing idiots on facebook slagging him off its laughable and also sad

Last edited:
Hi men ,

Peter , it was clear from your first post , of that's how read it anyway . I do know that otters are very active in that area , and a fair way up and downstream .

Hatter
In all the years I've been fishing the middle Thames I've not seen any otters on the stretches I fish though did see a mink once.

It was quite a well known fish wasn’t it, being caught previously as a mid 40 a few times. I often wonder how healthy this fish really are, particularly some of the still water ones that are mostly belly.

After Nick caught it !!
it was then caught at least twice possibly 3 times by people that dont need their egos massaged ! or earn their living catching and writing about fish ...........................and at this time of the year maybe the stress of it all was too much when a big old fish (carp) gets caught many times in a short space of time often it dies this happens far too often to be a coincidence ? I have known Nick for many years and he is a great angler and knows how to look after fish and its how he earns his living
and all the green eyed know nothing idiots on facebook slagging him off its laughable and also sad
Why do people bother with Facebook...it always ends the same way

In all the years I've been fishing the middle Thames I've not seen any otters on the stretches I fish though did see a mink once.

Hi men ,
Dave , iv managed to see them in a Weir pool , then at the entrance to the lock near Eynsham , and 30 yds up the Windrush at the confluence of the Thames . In fact the lock keeper came along showing the owners of a boat one in broard daylight . Some people might say I'm lucky 🙄 .

In fact I'm sitting watching the repeat of Britain's greatest river on Chanel 5 . From source to sea , lovely program and worth a look on catch up . Stocking barbel , chub , lots of Cray's being trapped so worth a look.

Facebook etc , best to know when to stop commenting , or not to comment at all. The busiest barbel site was a nightmare , in fact I deleted it . You just have to be choosy on what groups you join .

Hatter

Made my evening Ian... I like the staggered annunciation....LOL :)

Back