• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tench in Leicestershire

Hello all, I’m hoping that someone might be able to point me in the direction of a tench water in Leicestershire. A friend and I are looking for somewhere during the close season
Thanks

Hello all, I’m hoping that someone might be able to point me in the direction of a tench water in Leicestershire. A friend and I are looking for somewhere during the close season
Thanks
James,

I’m down in Kent so do not have personal experience of Leicestershire but I’ve just done a quick search on The Tenchfishers forum and it seems Leicestershire is a bit of a desert for Tench BUT the name Frisby Lakes Fishery near Melton Mowbray crops up a couple of times. Are you prepared to travel a bit? There’s a fishery in Lincolnshire at Hibaldstow which produces some good bags of Tench. Perhaps think about joining The Tenchfishers and the regional organiser for your area might be able to give you some pointers.

Good Luck in your quest

Regards

Bill W

Just over the border in North Northamptonshire is Sywell Reservoir - reported to be one of the best tench waters in the UK, and it's fishable on a day ticket. I haven't fished it, but used to live in South Leicestershire and this is just a short drive, so definitely worth considering.
Think there are a few YouTubers who have done features on tench fishing there too which might help.

Stanford Reservoir on the Leics-Northants border was regarded as one of the best tench waters in the country in the 90's. A couple of pals were in the syndicate, but neither now knows anything about the fishing their anymore. May be worth a enquiry?

Just over the border in North Northamptonshire is Sywell Reservoir - reported to be one of the best tench waters in the UK, and it's fishable on a day ticket. I haven't fished it, but used to live in South Leicestershire and this is just a short drive, so definitely worth considering.
Think there are a few YouTubers who have done features on tench fishing there too which might help.

You need to check out the Tenchfishers stuff on the current state of Sywell. My understanding is that it’s nowhere near the water it has been at various times in the past. I wrote about fishing there in the 80’s and that was its second coming. Hopefully it is now on the way up for the third time……

If you are looking for some good sport with high numbers of tench to around 7lb then Napton on the Lemington ticket is prolific and great fun on the float or feeder.

Probably within an hours drive.

I fished Sywell a bit 5 years or so ago. It was slow going but I fished early season. If I lived closer I would love to give it another go but I’d wait until the water had warmed up and the fish were more active. It’s popular with the public but it is a really nice place. Even well past its prime it still chucks up some good tench, or did 5 years ago.

Thanks everyone I’ve thought about sywell but it’s quite a trek for my friend and he’s not the best on his legs and I understand it’s a long walk from the parking area. I’ve fished Friday pits a few times when it was a club water . I’m not after anything big was hoping someone would know of an estate lake full of lillies somewhere

Back