• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tench - fishing on a new lake question.

Adam Francis

I'm joining a new club june 16 & will be fishing a large gravel pit. I've spent a couple of evenings up until 9.30pm looking for any signs of fish but have so far drawn a blank, in fact there has been literally no signs of any fish bubbling or showing.

The lake, visually at least, is pretty featureless other than 2-3 islands around the northern end with a section of channels. Though 'fishy' they are really snaggy and not an option to night fish, there are big carp present also. You could safely fish the entrances to these channels and they do face the SW wind so potentially good starting point.

1. Is there more chance of fish spotting at dawn?
2. Should I just use a marker rod and find some good looking spots and fish those?
3. If I don't manage to locate the fish should I prebait or just fish different swims with more of a 'fishing for a bite' approach?

The lake is part of the CSAS, Sheepwalk where the current tench record resides, not too many bream by all accounts and not heavily stocked. My aspirations are far more humble I can assure everyone but would greatly appreciate some input and thoughts.

Thank you in advance.
PM if you'd prefer.

I fish a gravel pit which doesn't contain bream or carp, the tench can often be seen rolling on the surface at first light. I generally fish the margins which are around 14' deep.

The deep pit I've been fishing for tench has been very strange. Some days they betray their presence by rolling. However, this might only occur at fairly well defined times. If you happen to miss it, you'd have no idea. Some days, and I've yet to find any particular pattern, they just don't show at all. It's similar with obvious signs of feeding. Much of the bottom is a bit too solid for really good fizzing, but there are some softer spots where they will fizz. However, I've caught them from these places when they've given no bubbly hints whatsoever.

1) Depends on the water concerned. Maybe, but maybe not. If they are as contrary as they are on my pit, it might be 1500-1700 that's been the best time to see them rolling. The dawn or dusk brigade could miss them altogether.

2) My golden rule is, when there's any doubt, get on the end of the wind.

Hi Adam, have you tried putting a little bit of bait in several likely spots close in whilst walking round and revisiting those spots on the second circuit round to look for signs of feeding ? Bear in mind gravel pit Tench can feed later in the day than their classic 'estate lake' bretherin ( meaning towards the middle of the day as opposed to dusk ).

Hi Dave.

Thanks for your advice. I have started prebaiting a spot but was thinking up to about 10am would be the window but I'll experiment with times. I've been there a few times now and the fish just don't seem to show much at all. The spot I've chosen isn't an option for night fishing so it's left alone by the carp guys.

Hopefully soon I'll either see something or better yet, catch one :)

Hi Adam,

In answer to your questions..

1. Yes as a general rule. Often the earlier the better e.g between 4am and 7ish, but as others have said they do often seem to behave differently in different waters and on some waters tench do show well in the evenings. Much depends on the weather, for instance on Sunday evening the water I was fishing was a still as a mill pond and nothing showed for several hours, but as soon as the wind picked up and there was a bit of ripple they started showing everywhere.

Tench are imo, perhaps the most contrary of coarse fish though, and they can sometimes switch their feeding habits from day without many real obvious explanation, so I think it wise not to assume any trends based on your observations over a short period of time. One thing to be aware of at this time of year, is sometimes the rigours of spawning can send them very quiet for a week or two and they won’t show at all.

2. Yes - on any still water you need to get a handle on the features of the swims your fishing and the depths, it’s never wasted time, I try and keep notes on different swims and map depths for future reference.

3. I’d personally try and find the fish before prebaiting, one method I’ve found effective for getting to grips with a new water is to fish method feeders on two or three rods with either 10mm tutti or esterberry type boilie on a size 12, or two on a size 10. Fish a swim for few hours, if you don’t get any bites move on - you’ll be more willing too if you haven’t piled in loads of bait.

Enjoy your fishing anyway, hope you get a few.

Back