• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

TB Ultegra 5500 Question?

Yeah there brand new from climax tackle yesterday but I was under the impression you could tighten the drag fully so it won't spin at all. Don't get me wrong it does tighten but in my opinion not enough for use of 15lb line??
Thanks

You should be able to tighten them up to use with very much higher than 15lb, I can almost stop mine

How have you been setting it mate freespool drag fully locked? Inner drag fully unlocked then tighten the inner drag up?
Thanks

It might just be me but if I tighten my inner drag fully up that then means it restricts the baitrunner tension to how I need it? Would I have been better with the daiwa windcast with just one knob that controls freespool and clutch?
Regards

It might just be me but if I tighten my inner drag fully up that then means it restricts the baitrunner tension to how I need it? Would I have been better with the daiwa windcast with just one knob that controls freespool and clutch?
Regards

Daiwa Windcasr....err No, dont worry about it just get out on the banks and use them. it will all make sense.

Think it might just be me that needs some help setting them up or some guidance in the right direction I just can't understand how the fighting drag does'nt fully lock. is anybody who uses these on the tidal Trent this weekend that I could nip and see to get some help with them? I'm almost waisting my time asking for help in a tackle shop.
Kind regards

Have you got the destructions that came with the reels?

If so follow them. They made sense to me.

Thanks Simon I'm all sorted now pal spoke to Jon Frisby and he guided me through them and I just sat staring at them after. (Fantastic Reel) :):)
Regards

Excellent. They are a top quality reel so hope they bring you luck.

Cheers Simon I'm sure I will have my first double this year with my née tackle 100% more confident now I'm equipped mate.
Regards

anyone had a look at the new ci4's

David,
if you mean these, then yes, I've had a look. They hardly qualify as new though as they've been in the shops almost a year now.
If you mean these, then not yet. However they look just the same as the other Ci4 reels but with the baitrunner II spools and a darker paint job.

The nicest thing about them was the lightness. I wasn't prepared to pay double the price of an Ultegra XTB for that weight loss.

Gents,
just to throw a spanner in the works and perhaps offer some explanation for our differing experiences of these reels. I've just purchased a third XTB 5500 rather than buy three new reels for a carping set up. It has a different drag adjustment cap to the other two reels.

On the new one the inner drag core recedes towards the reel as the outer quick drag is turned to disengage the drag. Push down on the central drag on the older two and there's a bit of give as the button is sprung. On the new version it stays solid, it's not sprung. The newer version also has less molded grip lines on the central drag button.

I suspect that the newer version may be to eliminate the way that the drag setting gradually increases with repeated operation of the QD as I've noted on the older reels. However, the downside seems to be that it's marginally more awkward to set the drag in the first place.

399006341.jpg

399006365.jpg

399006401.jpg

Newer one on the right in each shot.

Last edited:
Back