• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Targeting Roach on the Severn

William Taylor

Hello,

I could use some help on targeting roach on the Severn.

I have spent a few sessions just stick float fishing maggot, and had a couple of roach, but when the dace move in I can't seem to get through them. I have a few questions, If anyone has any advice to give.

Swim selection. What swims should I be looking for? I will be fishing the middle severn at Bridgnorth.

Gear. I have some float rods that are suitable. I am not sure about what kind of feeder rod would be best, obviously my barbel rods would be far to much. I do have a light 10ft Shimano Forcemaster feeder rod, but I was unsure if that would be too short.

Rigs/tactics. What sort of feeder or float rigs should I be using?

Bait. What can I use to target Roach?

Sorry if thats lots of questions, I am a bit unsure of how to approach it.

If anyone has any advice to give, then I would be grateful.

Thanks.

I went roach fishing with a good friend who been having some cracking roach out the Severn. We was using 6mm pellets on a size 12 hook 5 lb line. I use a link ledger set up with couple of swan shots on a light quiver tip rod. biggest I took was 2lb 2 and with a few well over a pound. Trick is not to put to many pellets in as barbel can be a pain. I was only feeding 2 or 3 pellets every so often. . Hope this helps

Plenty of quality roach below Bridgnorth, as Dean said they seem to respond well to small pellets, but I'm sure they would also fall to the old hemp and tares approach on the float.

Anyone know of decent roach coming from the lower severn?

I've had a few nice ones lately Dave, quite a few around the pound mark, usually on pellets designed for barbel. Graham Elliott has had a few too, up to around 1.10 I think, he fishes the same stretch as I do. The fish are mint too.

Attachments

• roach.jpg
    roach.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 385
I've had a few nice ones lately Dave, quite a few around the pound mark, usually on pellets designed for barbel. Graham Elliott has had a few too, up to around 1.10 I think, he fishes the same stretch as I do. The fish are mint too.
Cheer John,

I may also be on the same stretch (when I say on, I've been once this year!) so bodes well. Great looking fish that

Back