• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Talking of Tight Lines

Paul Hayes

Tight Lines those imortal words spoken by Terry Thomas at the end of Angling Today screened by then ATV back in the 70's. Who remembers it?
These programmes set in the Midlands often included some of the great match anglers of their time. Barry Brookes, Ken Giles and the late greats Ivan Marks and Clive Smith.
Terry was a larger than life character who I met on a number of occassions, he always finished his autumn programmes with Falling Leaves Will be a problem.

This was my earliest recollection of Angling on TV.
Paul

Yes, Captain (?) T.B. Thomas. Met him once, on the Usk, when trout fishing when I was a kid. "Colourful" character. Have his book about fly casting in my collection of books on the same subject.

So not the "What an absolute shower!" Terry Thomas I assume, although an appropriate role model for your good-self Lord Boote?
Here he is, in the background holding the mic. with Richard Walker demonstrating fly casting.
Dick%20Walker%20casting%20in%20an%20exhibition_opt.jpg

and for the nostalgic click here for the theme tune.

Last edited:
By the way, I seem to have suddenly become a "senior member" do I get a bus pass?

My god, you fella's must be antiques, :D my earliest was Jack Hargreaves in " Out Of Town ". Now why doesn't one of the tv channels repeat this brilliant series. :)

I loved that programme, I think it was on around 10.30 and being allowed to stay up and watch it, I was around 10 yrs old at the time! I also remember he also used to occasionally appear on ATV Today on the Friday night show, where they had their main sports slot - with Gary Newbon.
One memory I have of him Salmon fishing in a boat on the Wye, with Barrie Brookes. Barrie hooked and was playing a Salmon with a big cigar in his mouth, and Terry wrestling the cigar out of his mouth in the boat, incase it burnt the line.
Happy Days:D

Cheers
Mark

I remember a horrendous wet and wild day piking on Patshull Great Lake when TT was down to do a bit of trout fishing for the press.......he spent the entire day in the hotel bar.......sensible bloke:p

Yes, Terry was one of the ex-Forces war-time generation that thought nothing of drinking all day long and being considered none the worse for doing so because many of the people they were meeting and dealing with were doing the same. I met him when I was ten or eleven, on the Usk, as I said last night. My Dad, another WW2 survivor, chatted with Terry on the riverbank, and the two men were soon sharing reminiscences about their respective wars. Then Dad (or Terry) suggested they retire to the hotel "for a spot of lunch". A very liquid one, doubtless. I carried on fishing.

Last edited:
I remember him doing some filming with John Sidley,out in a punt,pike fishing on Westwood Lake,Droitwich.....
What an unlikely pair to share a small vessel!!...closely followed by another punt with the film crew.
The bailiff was about as far removed from John Sidley as John was from TT!!!!You can imagine what I mean.Coat held together with baler twine and he lived in an old woodmans caravan next to the lake.

Back