• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Talk about peaking too early.

Took the lad down the nene tonight. We’ve put afew blanks in and he’s been absolutely desperate to get his first barbel but for one reason or another it’s just not being his season….. mine either to be honest.

He’s always been a bit of a fluky bugger with other species and tends to show me up more often than not but with nene barbel we haven’t had the luck.

So the plan was both rods under his control
I was there as a parent only and to help him out (he is only 7)

So like every other session we’ve been on together it was getting round to kick off time. We had 10 mins left and the rod tip starts bouncing which was disappointing when we picked up into a 2lb chub. The very last thing you want with ten mins to spare is a small chub. So very quickly unhooked didn’t even change the bait or check the hook etc just straight back out.

Time off tonight was 8:48 and at 8:48 just as he reached to pick up that rod with a sigh of disappointment……. It absolutely tore off!!! Probably one of the best slam rounds I’ve ever witnessed.
He stood there at front of the bank pitch black head torch on playing this thing like a true champ. I obviously had a firm grip on the back of his hoodie to prevent a potential wet boy.
All I did was net it for him. (After 3 attempts🤣) That fish was all his 100%

He’s absolutely buzzing. First ever barbel and it’s smashed my seasons best dropping them scales round to 13,05. I couldn’t be prouder.

I’m a bit pissed with my poor photography but never the less. We even had a bit of crowd by us while weighing her up and recovering it with the guys walking back after an evenings blanking.
His face was a picture when they all said they’d blanked.

Josh’s first barbel 13,05. He won’t be beating that in a hurry View attachment 20642View attachment 20643
Not bad photos at all, seen much worse. Either way a memory that will last forever 👍

So a little update on this thread….. I told Joshua on his last session that his fish was an incredibly special one and that the chances of him beating it (size wise) would be something that would probably take a long time…….

Well I feel bloody stupid now because he’s only gone and done it again! No actually he hasn’t. He’s gone one better and braced 🤦‍♂️ Something that I don’t do on the nene very often at all and to make it even more special he’s braced in the afternoon in broad daylight.
I mean on this river that is absolutely a red letter afternoon. Well 3 hours fishing actually.
So the list of achievements is.
a new pb
In the broad day light
And a brace
Even the smaller one was a belter.
You couldn’t make this S*** up I tell ya!

His new pb is a clonking 13lb 7oz and 90% of that was in its gut. It was quite literally a seriously obese 11lb fish.

Check him out. Ultimate barbel slayer 😎
BBDF1704-2A25-4D5D-8374-FF1B65E8E5A5.jpeg
66752A95-3FA2-4154-AFB8-6E6DA5D7A6EA.jpeg
2938AE26-888D-4BDE-BAAB-BA65BE70CF0D.jpeg

What an absolutely brilliant post! Well done Josh. I think he deserves a "special mention" in one of the angling papers/mags.
Tell him I've been fishing for 65 years and my biggest barbel is 11 1/2lbs. Could he give me a few tips please?!!! 🤔

So a little update on this thread….. I told Joshua on his last session that his fish was an incredibly special one and that the chances of him beating it (size wise) would be something that would probably take a long time…….

Well I feel bloody stupid now because he’s only gone and done it again! No actually he hasn’t. He’s gone one better and braced 🤦‍♂️ Something that I don’t do on the nene very often at all and to make it even more special he’s braced in the afternoon in broad daylight.
I mean on this river that is absolutely a red letter afternoon. Well 3 hours fishing actually.
So the list of achievements is.
a new pb
In the broad day light
And a brace
Even the smaller one was a belter.
You couldn’t make this S*** up I tell ya!

His new pb is a clonking 13lb 7oz and 90% of that was in its gut. It was quite literally a seriously obese 11lb fish.

Check him out. Ultimate barbel slayer 😎
View attachment 21424View attachment 21426View attachment 21425
That's a seriously chunky fish.
Well done young Msn

Could he give me a few tips please?!!! 🤔
Cheers Paul. He did smile when I read your post to him.
You’ll have to wait in line mind. Surely his dad should be given the secrets first 🤣
Can’t remember the last time I braced in the daytime on there it was that long ago. 🤦‍♂️

Top angling. Congratulations Joshua. Catching a double figure barbel in daylight is something I have tried for years and still no luck.

Now it’s a good time to tell your dad you want to catch a double figure barbel on the centrepin as the next challenge😄😄

Back