• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tales of hooking oneself - tips & precautions?

The stories above are the most persuasive arguments I’ve ever heard for converting to barbless hooks. ;)

It seems that there are many careless anglers out there. The following safety recommendations will be printed on the new EA Rod Licences issued on the first day of April :
Wear a clear laboratory visor at all times, it can be simply tilted back to allow sustenance to be consumed. A second visor can be worn on the back of the head thereby protecting head and neck areas. A hard hat is optional, I feel that this is probably a bit belt and braces approach
Wearing of welding gloves will prevent most hook penetrations of hands and fingers.
A first aid kit is a must to help foolish, non compliant angler who may be hooked up as a result of not wearing the appropriate protective gear. Very soon, HSE regulations will be applied to all anglers and those not suitably attired will be asked to cease fishing and anything of value taken from the transgressor. Warden Officers will patrol the banks ensuring that regulations are complied with. Warden Officers will have the authority to inspect first aid bags to ensure that the full kit is being carried. The EA are selling First Aid rucksacks at cost, prices to be announced, but probably in the region of £50 -£75. A flashing strobe light will need to be activated on the First Aid rucksack between dawn and dusk to reassure other anglers that help is close by if needed. No angler will be allowed to fish on their own at night and any angler must look for another flashing strobe before commencing fishing. These recommendations are currently at the discussion stage although it is anticipated that the recommendations will be fully adopted and enshrined in law by the opening day of the new season.
A lot of these proposals seem very sensible to me and that is probably the case for most responsible anglers. Anything that makes fishing safer must make it a more enjoyable hobby for all of us. From a personal point of view, I would like to see the legislation go further with a smoking ban on all fisheries.

Jim - like it. Plausible...watch (your) this space for forth coming consultations on the consultation...

Plenty of wincing tales...

Three others, one with a barb & two without...

First ever session carp fishing on the River Nene at the age of 17. Took a catering tin of luncheon meat opening with a swiss army knife can opener. Virtually removed the lid working it slowly, then slipped & pushed the thumb (muscle) skin across the jagged exposed lid creating an inch gash to the muscle. Was in Peterborough hospital the following morning at 6am to get it stitched up to return & catch a few beauties on floating bread. Nowt on the meat!

Night fishing a clay pit at the age of 15 for carp close in the margins. Fishing 2oz leads (heavy in those days!) & got the rig snagged. I was pulling the rod this way then that & one of my mates standing next to me was saying to let him have a go. I said one more heave & the lot flew out of the margins at an incredible speed, the lead hitting him the forehead & sent him reeling. The scene was almost out of a comic book as a bump materialised & literally grew & grew. He still has a slight subtle bump there to this day!!

The final one that a lot of you must have had happen is burying a bait needle in ones thumb thru baiting the hair & the bait splits. Of all the barbed scenarios this is probably the simplest to remove. Still hurts but the straight yank suffices!

Cheers, Jon

I always keep a roll of electrical insulating tape in my bag, In an emergency it keeps everything dry especially when you get those little nicks after unhooking Pike etc.

For me the worst I,ve seen, was on my first night catting on the Soane with Luke Moffat, hooked a very spirited fish and after a lenghty scrap, luke got hold of the hooklink and suitabley gloved up grabbed the bottom jaw, fish went nuts, luke screamed. One point of a 4/0 treble, through the glove into his finger, the other 2 points still in the fishes mouth, the fish thrashing about, not a good scenario. I had no choice but to grab the fishes jaw, bare handed to stop it thrashing, drag it up the steep bank to the mat, with my mates help, got the hook out of the fish, got the 2nd hook out, with lukes guidance got the fish on a stringer. We cut the glove off in pieces, and Luke went off to the Docs, Some introduction to catting, leason learnt, always know where the hooks are, and don,t grab a big cat bare handed, the bar coding hurts!!!!
peter

Never hooked myself with any large hooks, but i remember many moons ago at dartford lakes seeing a chap standing behind a pike angler get a treble hook complete with sprat through the centre part of his nose!!! And yes we did laugh, suppose we shouldnt have but seeing that sprat dangling from his hooter was just plain funny!

About two years ago I was in my garage tying up rigs.
Gripping the braided hooklength between my teeth I was just tightening up the knot to the swivel when the line cut off and a size 10 suddenly pinged up my right nostril ! :eek:
A gentle pull on the swivel only served to ***** the hookpoint in to the inner wall of my nose, which it was well up.

With no one home I had no alternative but to call at my nextdoor neighbours house with a 8'' string and swivel hanging from my nose :eek:.

Thankfully my neighbour is the understanding type and he immediately took pity on my precarious situation. ' You better come in so I can take a look ' he said.
An initial probe proved unsuccessful and with that he had to lie me down in the light of his frontroom bay window. ' Wait there whilst I get my tweezers '.

I have never been so embarrassed in my life but how we laugh about it now.:p

Duncan.

Jim - like it. Plausible...watch (your) this space for forth coming consultations on the consultation...

Plenty of wincing tales...

Three others, one with a barb & two without...

First ever session carp fishing on the River Nene at the age of 17. Took a catering tin of luncheon meat opening with a swiss army knife can opener. Virtually removed the lid working it slowly, then slipped & pushed the thumb (muscle) skin across the jagged exposed lid creating an inch gash to the muscle. Was in Peterborough hospital the following morning at 6am to get it stitched up to return & catch a few beauties on floating bread. Nowt on the meat!

Night fishing a clay pit at the age of 15 for carp close in the margins. Fishing 2oz leads (heavy in those days!) & got the rig snagged. I was pulling the rod this way then that & one of my mates standing next to me was saying to let him have a go. I said one more heave & the lot flew out of the margins at an incredible speed, the lead hitting him the forehead & sent him reeling. The scene was almost out of a comic book as a bump materialised & literally grew & grew. He still has a slight subtle bump there to this day!!

The final one that a lot of you must have had happen is burying a bait needle in ones thumb thru baiting the hair & the bait splits. Of all the barbed scenarios this is probably the simplest to remove. Still hurts but the straight yank suffices!

Cheers, Jon

Hi Jon, were you fishing the Peterborough Cut? A half sensible question.

As an angler who hasn't yet had a 'self hooking arrangement' so to speak, I'm now worried sick that my first one isn't too far away, unfortunately I can't say the same about the spring tench i'm after!

I know my dad was fishing the Colne last year and whilst baiting his hook a dog off the lead ran 'round him, caught the line, embedded the hook in his hand and kept on running. Luckily it was barbless so I had a right laugh. I also recall a friend sticking a baiting needle straight through a lump of meat and into his thigh, which is never good news.

Tight lines all, except when the hook is in your hand of course.

I also recall a friend sticking a baiting needle straight through a lump of meat and into his thigh, which is never good news.

My brother knows some poor fella that slid a baiting needle up under his thumbnail, after forcing through a tough shelf-life boilie. Still makes me shiver when I hear that story.

Back