• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tales of Barbel in Yugoslavia?

Richard Booty

Senior Member & Supporter
Does anybody remember the controversial tale written by an angler who was barbel fishing in what was Yugoslavia (or somewhere similar) back in the 80's? I seem to remember he wrote of huge (16lb+) Barbel caught that were unheard of at the time, but was then had his tales doubted by all and sundry.

I was only reminded of it as on another forum there was an old argument kicking off about the series of big common carp caught by Martin Gay in the 80's from a secret lake in the UK (or Canada...)

On the same note wasn't there an angler who claimed to catch a 13lb and 15lb barbel from the River Wey in the same era? Again weights that seemed unattainable at the time...

Does anybody remember the controversial tale written by an angler who was barbel fishing in what was Yugoslavia (or somewhere similar) back in the 80's? I seem to remember he wrote of huge (16lb+) Barbel caught that were unheard of at the time, but was then had his tales doubted by all and sundry.

I was only reminded of it as on another forum there was an old argument kicking off about the series of big common carp caught by Martin Gay in the 80's from a secret lake in the UK (or Canada...)

On the same note wasn't there an angler who claimed to catch a 13lb and 15lb barbel from the River Wey in the same era? Again weights that seemed unattainable at the time...
Was it now Slovenia's river Soca?

Back