• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Taking pictures when fishing alone..

I too fish alone most of the time and posted a very similar thread to yours last season. I now use a small travel tripod (very compact and lightweight) with a Canon G11 that has a swivel screen. I set the timer to take 10 shots in succession 20 seconds after pressing the button. Here's a couple of examples of self-takes this season:

It's easy with a bit of practice :)

Attachments

• 11lb 7oz Severals.jpg
    11lb 7oz Severals.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 238
  • 11lb 4oz Severals.jpg
    11lb 4oz Severals.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 248
I have replied to previous posts on the same subject and still remain of the same opinion.

I, like many Barbel anglers like to travel as light as possible and therefore also use the Gardener adaptor which for it's size is a fantastic (cheap) bit of kit.

For the same reason I also like to use a small camera with a programable self take, so after much searching chose the Canon Digital IXUS 85 IS 10MP which was very reasonably priced at £140 from Jessops.

The main draw for me though was the easily programable self take which I have set at 30 second delay for the first pic giving plenty of time to get the fish ready, followed by 3x2 sec delay shots.

If I am not sure wether I have the framing correct I do a trial run 'without fish' (which of course gets deleted).

I use a landing net with a very long 'drop' so can rest the fish for as long as needed before starting the process

Last edited:

first attempt guys.... not as good as some of the pics iv seen on here, but rome wasnt built in a day!

(actually this was attempt 5, im NOT posting the other 4 lol)

Not a bard start Chris...and at least you have not made the mistake of holding the fish out towards the camera at arms length in an effort to make the fish look bigger than it is. We have all done it in the past, then been embarrassed by the ridiculous shots where we are appear deformed, with hands the size of shovels...holding what is apparently a great white shark posing as a barbel :p

As I say, we have all done it early on....it's just a shame that some never learn how ludicrous it looks, or that it impresses nobody, because it is instantly obvious to everyone exactly what they are doing :D

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
lol.... fair point - i do however have extremely large hands. How do I stop people from mistaking my genuine shot with those who hold the fish at arms length? pmsl

lol.... fair point - i do however have extremely large hands. How do I stop people from mistaking my genuine shot with those who hold the fish at arms length? pmsl

Looking at your fish shot, I can see that your upper arms, from shoulder to elbow, are straight up and down in line with your body...so obviously you are not cheating :D

Mind you, the size of your legs in your avatar looks a bit suspicious :p:D

Cheers, Dave.

In the age of digital cameras why take the picture so close that you risk cuting bits of yourself or the fish off. Resolution is so good now on most cameras that you can afford to take the picture on the large side and just trim it on the computer when you get home so that it fills the frame how you want it. You always end up resizing the image anyway. Just one less thing to worry about on the bank.

Sound advice from Paul.

The Hand's like Shovels problem.
I thought about getting a pair of very small prosthetic hands made, to make my fish look truly humongous. :D

I have't got a multi shot on my small compact camera so i thought if i ever get another fish worth a photo i may set the camera to video mode which will give me time to get the fish and display it on video,when i get home i can edit it and get a worthwhile picture from the video,as anyone tried this?

Sound advice from Paul.

The Hand's like Shovels problem.
I thought about getting a pair of very small prosthetic hands made, to make my fish look truly humongous. :D

Or...stick the prosthetic hands on the end of a couple of broom sticks, then get on the other end of them. The fish would look like Moby Dick then :p

Cheers, Dave.

A friend of mine uses the nostril test when determining the true size of a fish from a picture. If in his opinion the fingers of the hands holding the fish are too big to fit in the nostril of the angler then the picture is a bad un and the weight could be dodgy.

A friend of mine uses the nostril test when determining the true size of a fish from a picture. If in his opinion the fingers of the hands holding the fish are too big to fit in the nostril of the angler then the picture is a bad un and the weight could be dodgy.

Ade :D:D

Are those that fail the test called 'bogies'....sorry, snot even funny....

Cheers, Dave.

Back