• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tackle that has gone up in value

I was wondering if 'improvements' on older rods actually decrease their value to a collector, although a bit of fine tuning might suit the owner it might be a problem if they intend selling?
Probably, that's why I kept some in original condition. The rod pictured is a 'User' and I liked the thought of the reel staying on a bit more often than it did and threading the line a bit easier.

I read somewhere they become softer and more sloppy in the action especially carp rods
I’ve heard of them softening up slightly from when they are brand new ie breaking in the new guides and whippings etc. Most of my custom builds would creak a little bit as they bent round the first time and I assume it was things just breaking in and settling.
ive not heard of an over a long time deterioration mind but maybe they do. Never noticed it myself

Hi men ,

MVIMG_20200504_151516.jpg

These have improved with age

Hatter

Could that be because of the forces of casting big weights long distances? An under arm swing of a barbel rod, you wouldn't think an issue.
No... honestly I can’t see it.
a rod is essentially a large spring.
there shouldn’t be a reason for it to soften up through use. Even heavy use. If you push it beyond the point that it will spring back there is only one way it’s going.
I don’t believe they can get softer. It doesn’t stretch it doesn’t suffer creep, it either springs back exactly as it was or it snaps.
happy to be corrected on this mind but logically it doesn’t make sense to me.

Hi men ,

View attachment 10756

These have improved with age

Hatter

You can say that again Mark.

Just re-reading 'An Obsession With Carp'.

Fantastic book, I love Dave Lane's relaxed style and humour. For me the Wraysbury Chapter really stands out...catching Mary in Feb, The Shootist etc. I've always wondered who was Tench Bloke?!

Also really enjoyed his second book. Particularly the chapters on The Mere and Sonning.

Your copy looks in a lot better nick than mine!

Fished Sonning quite a few times and the Thames behind.
Had a 14.2.

Good tench in Sonning.

I think the Big one was the carp that got caught in the Thames as a record? Well dowstream?

The biggun was known as 'The Eye', over 55lb I think.

Also a couple of chapters on Sonning in Terry Hearns second book, although he never managed to bank the biggun.

The Eye was a different fish to the Thames 50lb - it is believed to have been killed having been hit by a speedboat on Sonning I believe.

Ady, that is a once a decade stroke of luck! Mine came years ago when I was obsessed with reservoir piking and came across a Minn Kota electric outboard for £30 in a house clearance shop in South London.....

The Eye was a different fish to the Thames 50lb - it is believed to have been killed having been hit by a speedboat on Sonning I believe.

Ady, that is a once a decade stroke of luck! Mine came years ago when I was obsessed with reservoir piking and came across a Minn Kota electric outboard for £30 in a house clearance shop in South London.....
That Minn Kota was a bargain Stephen. In my case the shop proprietor just didn't know what he had. I also bought King Carp for £2.

You can say that again Mark.

Just re-reading 'An Obsession With Carp'.

Fantastic book, I love Dave Lane's relaxed style and humour. For me the Wraysbury Chapter really stands out...catching Mary in Feb, The Shootist etc. I've always wondered who was Tench Bloke?!

Also really enjoyed his second book. Particularly the chapters on The Mere and Sonning.

Your copy looks in a lot better nick than mine!

Im loving Dave Lane's story time on Youtube.

Tenchbloke sounds a great fishing buddy and the general fun times they had sounds great and also poses the question how and when did angling get taken over by killjoys :cool:?

ATB

Could that be because of the forces of casting big weights long distances? An under arm swing of a barbel rod, you wouldn't think an issue.
I don’t know Jon but some of the weights we are casting into the tidal Trent with a bit of water on makes a carp anglers 3oz lead look like a swan shot😧

Im loving Dave Lane's story time on Youtube.

Tenchbloke sounds a great fishing buddy and the general fun times they had sounds great and also poses the question how and when did angling get taken over by killjoys :cool:?

ATB
Not into carp fishing but been watching Daves an obsession with carp series and he's a brilliant story teller,one of the first carpers on the Horton complex naming the different swims and what made it interesting for me was I piked fished Kingsmead 1 and 2, Wraysbury and burghfied in the early 2000,'s. Had my pb from K1 28lb.

Maybe not up in value but hard to find. Decent spoon nets built to last Whitlock and Leslies of Luton Insight. I'd like to add a Wychwood flip and lock and a Ray Walton roving net.

Attachments

• 20200506_151331.jpg
    20200506_151331.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 247
  • 20200506_151345.jpg
    20200506_151345.jpg
    469.3 KB · Views: 256
Maybe not up in value but hard to find. Decent spoon nets built to last Whitlock and Leslies of Luton Insight. I'd like to add a Wychwood flip and lock and a Ray Walton roving net.
Is that a replacement mesh on the Whitlock Clive? If so what is it? Been having a sort out and the mesh on my folding Whitlock need replacing

I actually in the end bought a large Fox spoon just to get the mesh.

Back