• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tackle Insurance

David Chant

I have never taken out tackle insurance before but there have been a number of thefts from sheds and garages a few miles away where sporting equipment has been taken. I would have relied on my household insurance if something was stolen, but the policy just states shed and garage contents including mowers and tools. I have a few hundred pounds worth of tools and think the insurance company would argue about me adding a few thousand pounds worth of tackle if I was robbed. Does anyone have a personal recommendation for a tackle insurance company, or any to avoid. TIA.

didn’t korda do some kind of tackle insurance?
Terry, as far as I can see Korda stopped selling tackle insurance, although you can find there adverts from 2014! There are a number of companies that do tackle insurance, I was just wondering if anyone had any personal experience before I go with any particular company.

Thanks guys, when I spoke to my insurance company some time ago they were pretty vague but I will email them so I have something in writing.

I’ve only recently got my renewal for buildings and contents

Doing a deep dive on the details , the cover for garden out buildings wasn’t enough if I got cleaned out

Trying to up the cover amount took me off a ‘standard’ policy , doubling my cover trebles my premium , so the house policy is only ok to a point

My ex-wife was an insurance broker so I picked up lots of tips over the years. Firstly, there are insurers and then there are companies that look like insurers until you come to claim and it gets tricky. You get exactly what your pay for, and when the shit hits the fan the value of a paying a bit extra to be with a decent insurer becomes apparent suddenly and looks like amazing value. Worth spending time properly setting up your policy and establishing exactly what is covered and what isn’t. The exact value of the cover and and how things will be replaced, e.g. new for old.

A proper insurance company like Zurich or the NFU won’t mind doing this.

Good advise from Joe. I specifically sought an insurance company that covered sports equipment and have added tackle insurance onto the household insurance including a special "away from the home" cover. Outside sheds can be a problem but we have an attached garage so it is physically part of the "home". Try AXA, or Post Office insurance or speak to a broker for specific requirements but be prepared to pay more. Part of the problem seems to be the increasing prevalence of theft and dubious claims.

Back