• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tackle Box Darent Valley 11ft, 1.75 test Barbel Rod

Hi fellers

Anyone got any experience of this rod good or bad?

Hi Keith,
I’ve no experience of the 1.75 but use the 1.25 for float fishing for Tench on a small pond thick with lillies and it’s a great rod. I’ve had Carp to 11lb on it while after Tench and it handled it very well. I assume the 1.75 is a heavier version of the same blank so should do you well. The Darent Valley range are nicely built and very good value for money.
Regards
Bill

Thanks fellers

Stephen, I'm not looking for any new rods for myself at the moment (love my Harrisons and original Greys Prodigy too much ;)) but was just interested as there are a pair for sale locally and hadn't heard of them before, thanks anyway👍

If your after a cheap 1.75 Avon Keith, I’ve got a pair of the original Advanti Barbel rods. I don’t use them, I’d like to keep one for redundancy but the others is yours if you want it. Don’t want anything for it.
Nice one Stephen 👍

Thanks fellers

Stephen, I'm not looking for any new rods for myself at the moment (love my Harrisons and original Greys Prodigy too much ;)) but was just interested as there are a pair for sale locally and hadn't heard of them before, thanks anyway👍
Assumed it was for a relative (newphew) or something along those lines. You know how these things end up on the shelf.
I also saw the rods in question and was tempted but, as above, I actually have a few too many rods as it stands.

Hi fellers

Anyone got any experience of this rod good or bad?

Keith, I bought a brand new pair of these exact rods last year for smaller river fishing. For the money very well made and nice looking rods. I've caught barbel from tight snaggy swims on the Yorkshire Derwent to over 9lb on them and I have no complaints with the power or action of them at all. The only odd thing compared to my other rods is that they have a quite short handle, however I have not found this to an issue when using.

Mine are paired with some Daiwa Black Widow BR3500a reels which seem to be a nice match for them :)

I bought one last year on a whim and i use it most of the time tbh , dont have to worry too much about being too careful with it so it gets fairly abused and it still looks spot on and although the fittings are not top of the range its handled some big barbel really well and i think i'll buy another in case they discontinue them , for the money i think its spot on , agree its not in the same league as a harrison but it bends in the right places when playing a fish and i like the short handle its become one of my favourite rods

I bought one last year on a whim and i use it most of the time tbh , dont have to worry too much about being too careful with it so it gets fairly abused and it still looks spot on and although the fittings are not top of the range its handled some big barbel really well and i think i'll buy another in case they discontinue them , for the money i think its spot on , agree its not in the same league as a harrison but it bends in the right places when playing a fish and i like the short handle its become one of my favourite rods

Lifetime guarantee as well - you don't get that with a Harrison or Freespirit rod.

I see the Tackle box have produced a more 'upmarket' range of the Darent Valley rods. a 12' 1.5lb and 11' 1.5lb, known the elite range. Would be interested to hear feedback if anyone has used one?

They also supply as a a made up rod Joe. Not seen one I’m afraid but it puts it in the price range of the budget Free Spirits

They also supply as a a made up rod Joe. Not seen one I’m afraid but it puts it in the price range of the budget Free Spirits

To be honest Bill I had incorrectly assumed that link I had put up was for a made-up rod...that's a quite a jump up in price isn't it? Look nicely finished though it must be said. I've not heard of Sea Guide Atlas rings before.

Back