• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Swim Choice

John Young

Hi

just wondered if anyone ever checks the depth of water in front of them before choosing there swim?

I ask because early in the season I picked a new swim I had not fished before it looked perfect set everything up and fished the swim for about 90 minutes casting to different spots. I soon realised I was fishing in a swim that only had 12-18 inches of water!

I moved down a few pegs and came across a well known angler and told him what I had just done. He replied he had done the same earlier that day!

I guess its all part of fishing and learning your river But a hard lesson if you had traveled some distance as that was about 2 hours gone.

cheers John

Last edited:
Unless its a swim i know well, i always feel around with a lead for depth, snags, silt, grave etc. It can save you a lot of wasted effort.

As a rough guide a 1oz lead sinks at around 1ft per second, If you are on a new stretch and the current is slow enough it's always worth leading around, just as you would on a lake.

It can depend on the time of day and year as to whether you catch fish in 12-18 inches of water from the Goyt

Hi guys,

My first post on here, I think its very wise to lead around, better to lose a lead than snag a fish eh?
Also local knowledge is precious and can cut down on recce time, it also adds a social side to our sport.

Pat

Hi all, another newbie, so be gentle!
Ive feel that my angling has benifited greatly from feeling the lead/feeder down on a tightish line. Not only can you get an approximate depth but also the makeup of the river bed. The latter proved important on a trip to the wye this summer, when the river was up and coloured, how hard the feeder hit the deck, was an indication as to whether I was in the weed or the gravel runs in between.

Back