• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Sweet or Savoury

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on why savoury and spicy baits are used in the Winter months opposed to sweet and fruity baits in the Summer ?
Personally I don’t think it makes any difference.
Interested to hear your thoughts .

Read Archie Braddock’s books on flavours……(I should declare an interest as I was involved in testing some of them).

Then as a counterpoint check out John Bakers selection. He sells plenty of non- savoury flavours that work in colder water.

Why some work better in certain water temperatures I don’t know - but they do.

PS I might go Stillwater roach fishing this week and if I do I will use a sweet flavour.

It primarily stems from the carp scene where different flavours in different water conditions can be the difference between tempting a crafty big carp to want to move. Sweet baits in winter historically seem to be the way to go and I’m sure there’s scientific jargon to back that theory up.
However barbel are not carp. They don’t live in ponds (or at least the ones we target don’t) and they don’t behave the same way around baits.
Yes we know an oily pellet is more effective in terms of leak off when the water is warm but in terms of flavour effectiveness I don’t believe the sweet/savory thing is much of an edge at all.

I’ve fished em side by side in cold weather and the only thing that is conclusive is the size of the baits being a big contribution factor along with the strength of flavour.

In clear cold water scale it down even at night I find smaller and weaker is better

In coloured high water do the opposite. Big lump of meat or big strong boilie. Give em something to find.

I find it the other way round i use John baker and frost and flood and buttringer which are both excellent in winter are more on the sweet side of things but as rich said there’s nothing in it it’s more about base mix for me in the winter something that has a good leak off

Interesting take Richard. I have to say the few times I have hooked barbel in less than ideal conditions has been on maggots and worms intended for other species, food for thought ( pun possibly intended)

Obviously flavours are more than smelling like it says on the label but how they transmit as chemicals. A lot of successful flavours have extreme ph values. I think whether a flavour is sweet or savoury is looking at the subject too simply.

Back